What are you Baking the Week of April 4, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 4, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made a batch of semolina bread today, then used several slices of it to make a simple pizza bread, spreading some tomato sauce on each slice and topping it with havarti and mozzarella cheese. Very tasty.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

My banana,chocolate,coconut,peanut butter chip bread turned out very good.Better today than yesterday.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Sometimes the simplest food is the tastiest!

Aaron--I have posted the Quaker Oats Applesauce Muffin recipe.

Italiancook
          Participant

BakerAunt, thanks for posting the QO Applesauce Muffin recipe. I'll make these after buying oatmeal. I don't like streusel toppings, so I'll use the maple glaze. I'll report back after I bake these, but keep in mind: They may not rise as high for me, because I have to use baking soda/cream of tartar in place of baking powder.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

THANKS BA!

It does have sugar. Go figure.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Glad to help, Italian Cook and Aaron!

Italian Cook--As you are not using baking powder, I suggest that you omit the 5 minute resting period before putting the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Baking powder is more forgiving about the slight delay.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Ginsberg’s Spiced Pumpkin Bread (on the website, not in his rye book). I have baked it at least five times over the past two years, and I have noted that it is hard to mix and knead in my 7-qt. Cuisinart stand mixer, as I must keep stopping it to adjust the dough, and I do not think that the stopping and starting is good for the mixer, not to mention my patience. Today, I decided to make the dough in the Zo bread machine, then move it to a dough bucket for the rise. I still added 2 Tbs. more of whole wheat flour. It is a sticky dough and must be shaped on a floured surface. (I use white rye for that surface.) It baked well. I look forward to slicing it tomorrow—and to using it for turkey sandwiches.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Yesterday I finished up the Hot Cross buns that I had started on Eater Sunday. I normally go to great efforts to bake the penultimate batch on Sunday morning, but this year lethergy won and I just started this on Sunday. I had had plans for making whole wheat sugar free Buns for a diabetic friend, but didn't get around to that.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I am pleased with the rise and the texture of the Spiced Rye Bread. I worried that the bread machine might alter the crumb, but it is just as good, if not better than when I made it with the mixer. It may help that my used Zo is an older one, as a friend told me that newer ones might actually do too good of a job kneading on some wholegrain breads.

Italiancook
                      Participant

BakerAunt, thanks for the suggestion to omit the 5-minute rest because I'm not using baking powder. That might have slipped past me.

Today, I baked Black Bottom Banana bars. The batter is divided in half and cocoa added to one-half. The problem is that I'm never good at judging half. So the bottom half is bitter from not enough banana mixture with too much cocoa. Next time, I'm going to just throw the 1/4 cup cocoa into all the batter and see how chocolaty it becomes.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Italiancook that's what I do sometimes as I did last week and the banana bread turns out almost like a brownie,better the next day.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Italian Cook--I also cannot judge "half the batter." What I do now is I have the weights written down for my good set of mixing bowls. After I mix up a batter, I weigh the bowl with the batter, subtract the weight of the bowl, then divide the batter weight in half. I add that half weight to the bowl weight, and then I know when I have removed half the batter.

On Thursday, I baked Deep Dark Brownies, a recipe that came from King Arthur years ago. I delete the chocolate chips (sigh). I used white whole wheat flour in place of AP and added 2 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder. I scattered chocolate sprinkles over the top before baking in a 10x10-inch ceramic square dish (works much better than the 9x9 pan specified). These will rest overnight and be dessert beginning tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

My husband requested chocolate chip cookies tonight after supper so that's our snack tonight,I made the Toll House Recipe,very good.I baked a dozen and rolled the rest of the dough in a log for later on.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I baked the last of the frozen maple/cinnamon fan tan rolls today, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether I thaw them overnight or just take them out of the freezer before turning the oven on and letting them sit during the oven's pre-heat cycle.

Now I need to play around with finding easier ways to make them.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                Italiancook
                                Participant

For breakfast, I made banana muffins. I currently have bread rising in the pan -- titled King Arthur Classic White Sandwich Bread. It's my first and last time baking this. It has to be tented partway through baking, and I'm not into going back to the kitchen after something goes into the oven until it's finished. I'll stick with their Classic Sandwich Bread recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.