What are you Baking the Week of April 4, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 4, 2021?

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I read an interesting article recently on the guy who was involved with several pizzerias and restaurants in the north Chicago suburbs, including the Inferno in Evanston, Gulliver's in Rogers Park, the original Pequod's in Morton Grove and more recently Burt's Place in Morton Grove.

Burt Katz died in 2016.

BTW, Gullivers's is apparently for sale again, and there was an article in the Trib that the Malnati family is considering selling Lou Malnati's for somewhere around $ 700 million. (It has around 68 locations in several states.) I've been told by more recent Northwestern grads that Gullivers went downhill after it was sold (the second time, I think) in the late 70's, the new owner tried to use cheaper ingredients, it seems. Their pizza bread was so popular you'd order it as you were waiting in line for a table, just so it was ready when you were seated.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any information on when The Pizza Oven on Main Street in Evanston closed (I think it morphed into a Giordano's takeout location), I wish I could find someone who was involved with it to see if their recipes are available.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I deleted the post, as I put it in the wrong week. Sigh.

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.