What are you Baking the Week of April 4, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 4, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made another set of the fan tan cinnamon/maple rolls today, this time in a mini-loaf pan. They were able to rise a bit better but didn't all hold together, they wound up reminding me of a Monkey Bread, but they were still tasty. As I told my wife: The procedure needs work but the recipe is a keeper.

I'm wondering if I make up some sugar/cinnamon/butter paste and spread it out on waxed paper or parchment, then chill it, will I be able to slice it into long strips to place on the dough?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I will probably make more pumpernickel this week and another batch of semolina bread, since we're on the last half-loaf.

My rye starter is smelling a bit sweeter, I've been feeding it more frequently.

chocomouse
        Participant

I think freezing long strips of the butter mixture would help, but you'd have to work rather fast because it will thaw very quickly. I've not had a problem with mine holding together. Yes, sometimes a section might not stick together, but that just helps you bite into two pieces at a time - a good thing.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made the 3 layers for Will’s birthday cake (next Sunday) and wrapped and froze them. It’s Claire Saffitz’s carrot cake and the batter is delicious. I will frost it on Saturday while the layers are still frozen with her brown butter cream cheese frosted bong.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Last week was an interesting week of baking. For the first time in a year I made no bread or crackers. I had my starter hibernating in the refrigerator downstairs not being fed. I did not even make pizza dough for Sunday night pizza (fortunately I had some dough leftover in the freezer from before Passover began). I made an almond pancake recipe which none of the kids liked except my oldest so I won't do it again. I made matzah caramel crunch which I've seen with saltine crackers before.

My middle showed an interest in baking cookies before Passover began so he baked some sugar cookies. During Passover he wanted to bake some Passover sugar cookies. It was an interesting recipe containing potato chips for crunch (didn't really work - probably needed thicker, kettle style ruffle chips). They were very dry and sandy and probably needed less flour or more butter or something. But to these he added citric acid to try to make them very sour. But he did not add enough so no one tasted the sour. We'll see if his interest in cookie baking continues or abates now that he made his joke cookies.

My starter is back up. I've fed it but it's still cold, compressed, and thick. So I'll see how it is tomorrow and see if I can make crackers with it. I did have five dough rounds for pizza so I made five instead of seven pizzas which means no pizza for lunch today but everyone seemed happy last night.

Not sure what else I'll do. Might make some rye bread. I have some white rye flour to use up which I do not like so much but I need to use it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made the first two stages of the Ginsberg Jewish Deli pumpernickel recipe yesterday, I'll finish it today.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made two changes in the Ginsberg Jewish Deli Pumpernickel Rye bread, one intentional.

I was out of caramel coloring, so they're lighter than the first set of loaves, you can easily see how far down the sides the egg wash went, it's even lighter below that point.

I also forgot to put the 2nd sponge in the refrigerator overnight, so it sat on the counter for 14 hours before I mixed up the dough. That may result in a loaf with a more prominent sour taste, I'll know in a few hours. It did seem to rise more than the last batch, whether that's due more to not being refrigerated or the house temperature being a good 5 degrees warmer today is unclear.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I made banana bread today had 4 bananas needed to use so I made two loaves,Gave one to my SIL and for my loaf I added in some Hershey's cocoa, peanut butter chips and some coconut that needed to be used.I'll see how it tastes later.

Italiancook
                    Participant

A week ago, my husband came home with six ginormous cinnamon muffins. I pointed out to him that the first ingredient on the label is sugar. He has pre-diabetes. After eating three, he threw out the rest. Today, I used my go-to plain muffin recipe to make cinnamon muffins. I added 1/3 cup cinnamon chips & 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to 1-3/4 cup flour & 1/3 cup sugar. The chips didn't all melt in the 18 minute baking time, but the muffins were pleasant. Next time, I'll use 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon. I need a better go-to muffin recipe. These turned out too short -- not enough rise. Could be because I have to use baking soda and cream of tartar instead of baking powder. But the recipe has never made 12.

I also made shortbread biscuits for the freezer in hope of finding some good strawberries this season.

BakerAunt, I agree with your husband on the bunny pan making only six. Plus, the finished product looks so small on the KABC website. I realize they're cakelets not cake. Before Easter, I noticed they had a set of the pan and cake mix. I considered buying this for a niece to make with her two young children. They're a family of 4. So when I realized the pan only makes 6, I walked away. But I like the concept, and if I had room to store the pan, I'd buy it for myself.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Italian Cook--an oatmeal muffin with cinnamon and cinnamon chips might be nice. I agree with you that most muffins are too sweet, which makes them cupcakes. For a batch of twelve, I keep the sugar at no more than 1/3 cup.

The cakelets are about the size of a large cupcake. For a family of four, two pans and a doubled recipe would do the trick, allowing for three nights of dessert. For young children, a half bunny would be sufficient.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've had muffins that were much sweeter than cupcakes, even ones with a thick layer of frosting.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Quaker had a really nice applesauce oatmeal muffin recipe that I lost and I've never found. Applesauce was the sweetener. It was pretty nice. It would be even better with cinnamon. Someday I'll try to recreate it.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I may have that recipe, Aaron, as I have several of the Quaker Oats cookbooks, and I occasionally make oatmeal muffins from those recipes. I will look. What else do you recall about it?

Italian Cook--Nordic Ware also has a Cinnamon Bunny recipe, in which cinnamon and brown sugar is put inside the rabbits (on half the batter, then the other half added). That one uses 3/4 cup sugar, which is one reason I knew that I could reduce the sugar in the other cake recipe. Of course, the cinnamon bunnies have additional sugar in the center with the cinnamon.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Joan, I know how your banana bread will taste! You can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter.

Monday I made an apple pie.

Italiancook
                                Participant

BakerAunt, thanks for reminding me of oatmeal muffins. I have an excellent oatmeal muffin recipe. I usually serve them with a dinner, but I also add spices to turn them into breakfast muffins. I'll try them with cinnamon chips and cinnamon. Thanks, also, for your input about the size of the baked bunnies. They're bigger than I thought by looking at the picture.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.