Deluxe Chocolate Bars by cwalde

Home Forums Recipes Deluxe Chocolate Bars by cwalde

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Deluxe Chocolate Bars
      Submitted by cwalde on October 18, 2004 at 2:05 pm

This is one of my favorite bar cookies. They are easy to make and only take 6 oz. of chocolate chips. I took them to a cookie exchange at Christmas one year and they were the first to disappear! I got this recipe from the Gold Medal Century of Success Cookbook that I ordered off a flour sack in the late 70's. I imagine that it's out of print now, but it's one of my favorite baking cookbooks. This is a great cookie. Cheryl

1/3 c margarine or butter, softened
      1/2 c packed brown sugar
      1 c all-purpose flour
      2 eggs, beaten
      1 c packed brown sugar
      1 t vanilla
      2 T all-purpose flour
      1 t baking powder
      1/2 t salt
      1 package (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
      1 c chopped nuts
      Chocolate Glaze (below)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1/3 c margarine and 1/2 c brown sugar. Stir in 1 c flour. Press in ungreased baking pan, 13x9x2 inches. Bake 10 minutes.

Mix eggs, 1 c brown sugar and the vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts; spread over baked layer. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool, drizzle with Chocolate Glaze. Refrigerate till firm, about 1 1/2 hours. Cut into bars, about 2x1 1/2 inches. 3 dozen cookies

Chocolate Glaze
      Mix 1 T plus 1 1/2 t cocoa, 1 T plus 1 teaspoon margarine or butter and 2 T boiling water in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally till thick and smooth; remove from heat. Beat in 1 c powdered sugar till smooth.

comments
      Submitted by buttercup on Sat, 2011-10-08 11:09.
      I copied your recipe from the OBC and I'm just getting around to making them (I just copy way too many recipes). They just came out of the oven and I'm waiting for them to cool so I can make the glaze. They smell wonderful. I can't wait to taste one. Thanks for sharing.

Submitted by dachshundlady on Sat, 2011-11-19 09:19.
      I have that very same cookbook. I found it in my mom's house when we closed it and she came to live with us. There are some darn good recipes in that book.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.