Home Forums Recipes Chocolate Fudge Icing by Uninvited Guest

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Chocolate Fudge Icing
      Submitted by uninvited-guest on July 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm

A fudge icing that isn't sickeningly sweet. Enough for an 8 inch cake
      Source: Roselyn Bakery (former Indianapolis bakery)

Chocolate Fudge Base (yield 1/3 cup):
      7 1/2 Tbsp Cocoa
      1 Tbsp Sunflower seed oil
      1 3/4 Tbsp Crisco shortening
      2 1/2 tsp light corn syrup
      2 drops vanilla
      1 Tbsp light corn syrup
      1/3 cup Land-O-Lakes butter
      2 drops vanilla
      5 Tbsp simple syrup
      (1 T corn syrup, 2 1/2 T water and 2 1/2 T sugar, heated until dissolved)
      4 cups powdered sugar
      3 Tbsp. water

Start by making the Chocolate Fudge Base.
      Add cocoa, sunflower seed oil, shortening, corn syrup, and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Mix at low speed until smooth.
      Combine corn syrup, butter, vanilla, 1 Tablespoon of the simple syrup, and the chocolate base to a bowl, blend together. Scrape down bowl.

Add remaining 4 Tablespoons of simple syrup. Mix well, and scrape down bowl.

Add 2 cups of powdered sugar with 2 Tablespoons water. Mix until incorporated.

Add 2 cups of powdered sugar with 1 Tablespoon water. Mix until incorporated.

Add an additional teaspoon of water to thin to consistency needed.

comments
      Submitted by dachshundlady on Tue, 2011-07-19 20:09.
      What is the consistency of this icing? I just wondered because the recipe seems quite involved. Intriguing . . .

Submitted by uninvited-guest on Wed, 2011-07-20 16:24.
      It was nice and smooth, and spread like a dream (I used it on a Smith Island Cake and didn't tear any layers). Oddly, it *looks* more involved than it actually is.
      In the past, I've made a larger batch of the base, and scooped out 1/3 cup as needed for making icing. As long as it gets used before the oil or Crisco go rancid, there is no reason to not make a bigger batch if you like the icing.
      Submitted by dachshundlady on Thu, 2011-07-21 15:28.
      Do you keep the base refrigerated?

Submitted by uninvited-guest on Thu, 2011-07-21 15:34.
      I've done it both ways. It depends on where I have the extra room! If kept cold, it needs to brought to room temp before mixing the icing.

Submitted by Mrs Cindy on Sat, 2011-08-13 21:31.
      This recipe specifies Land-O-Lakes butter and safflower seed oil. Can I use any high quality salted butter? Can I use Wesson oil or vegetable oil? Why safflower seed oil? I'm planning to use this frosting on the Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake. Any problems with that?

Submitted by uninvited-guest on Sat, 2011-08-13 22:33.
      Any brands would be fine. The recipe from the Roselyn Bakery specifies the brand names. I copied it as it was written. I have used plain vegetable oil and another brand of butter with no ill effects.

Submitted by Mrs Cindy on Sat, 2011-08-13 22:54.
      Wonderful! Thank you so much.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.