British vs. American Self-Rising Flour

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls British vs. American Self-Rising Flour

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Ah, once again there is no way to go back to the previous comment (on previous page) without advancing the next page.

I know that I've not ever had self-rising flour in the house. The closest I got, back in my early baking days was Bisquick.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Self rising flour has always been a staple in our house as was my mother's and grandmother's.We usually only made biscuits and hoe cake bread with it.And the shelf life has never been a problem.I also use this flour and season it up and keep in the fridge for coating any meat that I fry cube steak,pork,chicken etc.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I think that some parts of the country are more likely to carry self-rising flour than others. Joan may have an advantage living in the south. I do not recall seeing it in Texas (admittedly, I wasn't looking), but west Texas is more of the west than the south. I do not think that I've seen it here, but it may be that I did not look. I'll report back after our next shopping trip to the town to the north.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Here's a take on using a lower protein flour for biscuits:

https://www.foodandwine.com/bread-dough/rolls-buns/biscuits/kelly-fields-biscuits-trick

I don't know where the author of the article shops, but I've NEVER seen 00 flour in a grocery store.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've seen something that MIGHT have been Italian 00 flour in a tiny bag (1 pound) for an outrageous price. I think I've also seen some type 00 flour at a store that specializes in European products.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

We have 00 flour at Whole Foods and Big Y. Haven't priced it at Big Y but it's $5 for a two pound bag at WF. Online I've found a 55 lb bag for as low as $30. Shipping is about $15.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

One more thing - webstaurantstore.com has 55 lbs. of Caputo 00 flour for $35+$12 shipping (to Hartford). YMMV.

chocomouse
                  Participant

King Arthur sells 00 flour, in a 3 lb bag for about $9-10. I think they also call it "Pizza" flour.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Glad you figured things out BA, I enjoyed being part of this discussion before work and estate stuff took over my life.

I have had self-rising flour on occasion (I could count the number of bags on 3 fingers) The first might have been White Lily and I know I tried a bag of KAF (I was still in Massachusetts), but didn't think it was worth keeping on hand - I don't make a lot of biscuits. I remember in Ireland, there tending to be more self-raising flour on the shelves in the Market - had to read labels carefully - I got my "regular" flour at the health food store.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

It is good to hear from you again, CWCdesign.

One of my friends from graduate school has lived in England for over 20 years. She told me that during the pandemic, she had no problem finding flour because there was plenty of regular flour. What people were not finding was the self-rising flour, which sold out in the panic buying.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

It's funny. When my Welsh friends moved here they bought AP flour expecting it to be like their "regular" flour which of course, it was not. Lots of flat cakes.

FWIW I have used KAF bread flour for biscuits and scones for about 15 years. I have pastry flour and keep meaning to try it but haven't. I have to make scones tomorrow so maybe I'll try it then.

Italiancook
                          Participant

cwdesign, good to see you posting again. I've been wondering how you are.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Thanks Italiancook - I’ve been hanging in, trying to find time for me

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I'm glad to see you back posting too Cwcdesign.I know you've been going through a lot.Maybe all will get back to normal soon.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.