Anodized Calphalon

Home Forums General Discussions Anodized Calphalon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have a 4-qt. Calphalon saute pan that I've been using for about 25 years. It's the pan I use when cooking down my tomatoes. The center of the pan appears to be losing its anodized coating, as it now looks like regular aluminum. I'm wondering it the tomatoes did that or if it is simply age. I have done some research online, but I haven't been able to determine if the pan is still safe to use. Does anyone here know?

I'm thinking of replacing it with an All-Clad stainless steel, as I have some All-Clad and like how it performs.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Anodized coatings wear off, I'm not sure if the acid in tomatoes would speed that up.

We have two 9 1/2" Ikea stainless steel saute pans, I like them a lot, but sometimes I wish I had one 12" stainless steel saute pan, though I don't feel like paying $200 for one. (I don't want a non-stick pan for general cooking, we do use them for eggs.)

S_Wirth
        Participant

When I got marrried 53 years ago, I had a set of Miracle Maid cookware. There was a warning not to cook acidic foods such as tomatoes in them as it would damage the coatings on the pans. I think there was rhubarb mentioned in addition to the tomatoes.

rottiedogs
          Participant

I have had a set of Calphalon for years. I had two pieces that lost coating in some area of the pan. A roasting pan and a 4 qt braising pan. Calphalon replaced each piece as they both had a lifetime warranty. I paid to ship it back to them and got replacements. That was probably about 15 years ago. At the time the pans were probably 12 years old. Not every pan has a lifetime warranty but it would not hurt to email them and ask the question. Link below.

I wouldn't use it for tomatoes. The acid in the tomatoes will pit the bare aluminum. I have one of their stew pots that I make chili in regularly. Once the chili is done cooking it comes out of the pot and the pot gets a good soak in sudsy water. Knock wood I've never had an issue with it peeling or wearing away.

https://www.calphalon.com/en-US/warranty-info

BakerAunt
            Participant

Thanks, Mike, and S.Wirth. I will look into a replacement All-Clad pan. I have found All-Clad at T.J. Maxx and at Tuesday Morning for less than the going rate. They might have slight cosmetic blemishes but cost less. I favor the "made in America" ones. I like the heavy bottoms. I can cook grains in the sauce pan that I have and not get sticking or burning, and the skillet that I have works great for simmering the blueberries for my pie recipe. I have a small roaster pan that performed so much better for my maple-glazed pork tenderloin recipe than did the Calphalon--more efficient cooking, less overbrowning, no sticking.

I will have to look online given the pandemic and our distance from stores.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.