2021 Garden plans

Home Forums Gardening 2021 Garden plans

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Growing plants from seeds is so much fun! My husband has a small tangerine tree that he started from seeds that came from tangerines we bought in Florida two years ago. It is still small, and he does not know if it will ever have fruit. He also started a tree from a blood orange seed I found this year. Most of the blood oranges do not have seeds or have ones that are not promising, but I found one, so he planted it just to see, and now we have a small plant.

He is also planning to try some of the heirloom squash seed from the honey butternut squash and the small spaghetti squash we bought. I can always get the larger ones at the farmers' market.

Janiebakes
      Participant

We planted carnations over the weekend.I had forgotten how nice they smell.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I transplanted into the main garden all the starter plants I had bought - 12 tomatoes, 6 each bell peppers, broccoli, and cabbage. Tomorrow I will plant seeds in the planters on the deck - green and yellow beans, beets, and spinach. I moved the lettuce I had started under Gro-lights in the sunroom out to the deck today. Tomorrow I will also transplant the started herbs into planters and pots on the deck, and dig up some mint for my Mojito pot. It was a perfect day - low 70s, full sun, slight breeze. The electric fence is up and working, and I strung the invisible fishing line around the poles at eye level. The water lines are hooked up, but we discovered one of the hoses needs to replaced before the series will put out a good stream of water. The blueberries are blossoming, and the blackberry blossoms are about to open. Life is good!

BakerAunt
          Participant

My husband transplanted the three tomato plants into the garden today. It joins lettuce, a few radishes, carrots, snow peas, and green beans. Only the lettuce and a few radishes have produced this early. He planted some seed from the small spaghetti squash and honey nut butternut squash that I also bought at last year's farmers' market. We will see how they do.

The black raspberries on the terrace will be abundant if we continue to get rain, and the blackberries are finishing blooming and starting to fruit.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I began picking black raspberries on our terrace this week. I have almost a pint. I will need at least double that to make my first batch of jam. There are still plenty of red ones, but if we could get some rain, that would keep the rest from drying out. My husband tells me that the ones by the road on the larger woodland property are not ripe yet.

Our tomato plants are growing, but no flowering yet. That is also true of the pepper plant that was started last year in a pot and produced a single golden pepper, which we have harvested in order to encourage the rest. No flowering yet from the beans or snow peas. The squash are coming up.

Janiebakes
              Participant

Our potatoes are flowering and a rascal rabbit has found a way past the fencing to decimate the bean bushes.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We've got a number of tiny tomatoes, mostly on the '4th of July' plants, which are a very early variety.

It has been too hot here for much fruit to set, but we're supposed to have a day or two when it doesn't get above the mid 70's, which should help. (As I recall, most tomatoes will only set fruit when the 6AM temperature is under some temperature, but I'm not sure what, somewhere in the 70's I suspect.)

S_Wirth
                  Participant

I always heard that if temps are 90F or above consistently, or for long periods of time, tomato plants won't set fruit due to pollination issues.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I learned in the Master Gardener course years ago that tomatoes (and peppers) set fruit only when the nighttime temps stay between 55 - 75, and daytimes temps below 90. I remember a year when the temps were quite warm every night for most of a week, and I lost a lot of blossoms.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

To make you all feel better - it is hot here and we are still getting tomatoes, peppers and so many cucumbers! Will has been making refrigerator pickles like crazy.

We have squash, eggplant, kale, basil and a few carrots to share - oh and tomatoes. We had a big harvest of beans earlier in the week.

Will was able to fight back our powdery mildew, but we keep losing the tomato plants to bacterial wilt - we are not alone in this. There is one member of the community who farmed in West Georgia - he says it is completely different here and he is losing tomato plants as well. As you drive through the garden, you can see that many people are having similar issues.

We were finally able to convince the person who started the project (but never had time to help) to give up the two plots. So, someone will pick up the empty plot shortly and we will give up the other one when our harvesting is done. Then we will all garden in containers on our own properties. It will be much easier to manage.

Last one, my flower bed - we planted short sunflowers, cosmos and zinnias - everyone is looking great - the sunflowers have lots of buds and the zinnias are already flowering.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Today my husband presented me with three snow peas from the garden!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I need to go check the east side of the house tomorrow, it is mid-June and there may be some black raspberries to pick. I don't think I've got any elderberries left, they got crowded out by bigger plants, we have several maples and at least one oak that have taken over that part of the yard. I tried planting some elderberries I ordered online last year in another part of the yard, but they didn't get delivered until mid-July when it was in the 90's every day and none of them made it to fall. I don't think I'll contact the nursery I ordered them from (direct gardening in Bloomington IL), but I'll never order from them again, the order seemed to be oddly handled right from the start.

Janiebakes
                            Participant

Six snow peas harvested today. They will go into stir fry for dinner. Tiny zukes and yellow squash with blossoms still attached coming along.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I think we now have ten snow peas in the refrigerator. I am looking at stir-fry later in the week.

I have picked 2 1/2 pint baskets of black raspberries from our terrace, and it looks like I will get a couple more baskets. I am gearing up to make jam, but we are having high humidity and some heavy rains, so I will wait until the weather clears. I read somewhere that it is not ideal to can on a rainy day.

Last night we had 3 inches of rain, some of it in a short period of time. It looks like another storm is moving in this evening.

chocomouse
                                Participant

We're looking temps in the 90s for the next 4 days, and only possible thunderstorms for rain. I'm watering the planters on the deck every day, and the garden and berries so they get at least an inch of rain each week. We did have 2 days of storms last week, and got 1.37 inches of water in 2 days; that surely helped a lot. The green, yellow, and purple beans are looking good, some sun scald on the leaves, but we're still a long way from eating beans. We do have flowers on the tomatoes, and tiny peppers started on those plants. And of course, we have plenty of spinach and lettuce. I'm hoping we get veggies before it snows!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 168 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.