100 ways to cook an egg

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) 100 ways to cook an egg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a topic where we can see how many ways we can come up with to cook an egg (or cook with an egg).

Let's ignore variants, so 'sunny side up' and 'sunny side down' are both just 'fried egg'. However, 'hard boiled' and 'soft boiled' are enough different that I think they qualify as separate methods. Similarly, methods that rely on different techniques to use the egg, or rely on using only certain parts of the egg, such as a cake versus angel food cake, are enough different to be listed separately. I'm on the fence as to whether 'hard boiled egg' and 'deviled egg' are enough different to be listed separately, let's see if we need to do that to get to 100. (I suspect we won't.)

Here's my starting list:

1. Baked/Shirred
      2. Fried
      3. Soft-Boiled
      4. Hard-Boiled
      5. Scrambled
      6. Omlets
      7. Frittata
      8. Poached

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

You pretty much listed the only ways I fix eggs, Mike. I'd never come up with 9, let alone 100. Maybe it's an old chef's tale that there are a hundred.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I can't add to that.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Scotch eggs? (I can see the French chefs now....)

Custard?

Egg drop soup?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm trying to come up with dishes that aren't similar, so custard tends to rule out pudding, creme brulee and flan, but not pastry cream or creme anglaise.

Likewise egg drop soup is quite different from a cream soup. I suspect I could come with a couple dozen sauces that use egg as a liaison (thickening agent), but for now I only listed mayonnaise and hollandaise.

This takes us up to around 32 and I haven't broken out a cookbook yet, I'm just thinking of things I've actually made:

cream soups
              souffle
              meringue
              pancakes
              crepes
              cakes
              angel food cakes
              bread dough
              pie dough
              pies filling
              hollandaise
              stuffing
              meat loaf
              creme anglaise
              ice cream
              dumplings
              pastry cream
              glaze for bread
              mayonnaise
              marshmallow
              nougat
              breading
              egg cream

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mike Nolan.
              RiversideLen
              Participant

I think deviled eggs belong in their own class.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I think the Chinese make something called a 100 year egg. And then there is pickled egg but I think that's similar to the 100 year egg.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

cookies

French Toast

noodles or pasta

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Shakshuka--or is that too close to poached egg? (I really want to try making this dish sometime.)

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Pickled eggs are very different from 100 year eggs, the former are often found in a big jar on the counter in bars. I've had pickled eggs but didn't care for them (pickled pigs feet are another bar delicacy that I'm not fond of), I've never had the courage to try a 100 year egg, something about eating a black egg just turns me off.

I think you could argue that waffles are different than pancakes, too.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

--Scones
                          --Brownies
                          --Muffins
                          --Salmon patties
                          --Potato cakes
                          --My pineapple cheese salad
                          --My mom's potato salad dressing
                          --Cornbread

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by S_Wirth.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'd call shakshuka a different dish from a poached egg, since it's poached in a tomato-based sauce. (I've seen some recipes that add feta cheese, too.)

I could argue that breading pork chops is different from breading fried chicken, too.

And a potato and egg tortilla is quite different from other egg dishes.

I like some dishes with an egg on top, like corned beef hash, but I don't know if we need to start counting those. (I don't understand putting an egg on a hamburger, though.)

S_Wirth
                            Participant

--Candies such as divinity
                              --Egg salad
                              --Icings like German chocolate

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by S_Wirth.
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

I don't do it often, but egg on a hamburger is a treat. Just the burger, the egg (scrambled but fried is good too), and a bun. Maybe a little jam on it.

I've also had egg in a breakfast burrito. There was a restaurant near work that served those, it was scrambled egg, Mexican cheese, seasoned ground beef and hash browns rolled up in a flour tortilla. They would serve it with some salsa but I knew the best way to have it, I'd open it up a little a spread some strawberry jam on it (it was breakfast, after all). Heaven.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I think mousse is enough different from pudding/custard that it should be listed.

7 minute icing should probably be listed, maybe royal icing as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.