Wed. Oct 7th, 2026

skeptic7

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,353 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 10, 2025? #47038
    skeptic7
    Participant

      Hello. I'm back in my own house as opposed to my father's for a couple days. I made a whole wheat pizza with pepperoni and tomatoes and cheese. Its been nearly four years since I have been doing much whole wheat bread. It turned out very well but I was surprised at the denseness of the texture compared to white flour.
      I used to make whole wheat pizza on a regular basis, but I ate 1/4 of the pizza and had digestive problems. Can going to whole wheat after not eating much be upsetting my stomach? Could the cheese be at fault -- there wasn't that much. I've eaten Trader Joes' Harvest Wheat bread without problems, but that has a soft texture.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 20, 2025? #46843
      skeptic7
      Participant

        I did Ham and Cheese pizza yesterday. Baked late at night when things had started to cool down. The nice thing about pizza in this season is that they are perfectly good cold.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 6, 2025? #46728
        skeptic7
        Participant

          More Bao. Dad is willing to eat these so I guess I will be cooking them for awhile. Steaming seems more forgiving as there is little to no risk of over cooking, and it seems to heat the kitchen less than baking. It takes two batches in the steamer for 20 minutes -- 10 minutes actively steaming and 10 minutes resting in the hot steamer. So 40 minutes for two. Which is comparable to preheating the oven for 15 minutes and baking for another 15.
          This bao turned out well and I cooked it before it over rose so it expanded in the steamer. I am basically using KAF Taiwanese Bao but will a little extra water to dissolve the yeast, and more flour to compensate. Also a little more baking powder 1/2 tsp, and salt 1/2 tsp. This time I shaped it into small rolls and cooked it that way.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 29, 2025? #46706
          skeptic7
          Participant

            I did make the pizza and another batch of bao yesterday. The pizza came out just in time for supper and the bao was steamed as the day started to cool down.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 29, 2025? #46701
            skeptic7
            Participant

              No Baking. I was "thinking" about pizza but by the time I got moving in the morning it was far too hot. I might start making the dough now to bake in the morning, but then again might just take a nap.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 29, 2025? #46675
              skeptic7
              Participant

                I did more Bao yesterday. I messed up the ingredients and forgot the sugar and baking powder till after all the other ingredients were mixed. What a mess. I knead it in, let it rise and then tried desperately to rub all the lumps out. A couple extra rises and kneading later all the lumps were out but the dough was rather soft. I need to remember to look at the recipe no matter if I really believe I have it in memory. I am making this a lot recently. My father's appetite has been rather picky but he will slowly eat one bun for a meal and finish it, where he will eat only half a bowl of rice and stop.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 22, 2025? #46649
                skeptic7
                Participant

                  I made potato raisin rolls yesterday. Even with the air conditioning on, I had to wait until night time to bake them/. They ame out wonderfully.

                  skeptic7
                  Participant

                    I haven't made yogurt for a long time. When I did do it, I used a crockpot to heat the milk. After the milk cooled enough to add the starter, I would swathe it in towels and hope it retained the heat long enough for the culture to grow.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 22, 2025? #46614
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

                      I did chocolate walnut scones. I was planning on making these yesterday but it got too hot too fast. Today I got up earlier in the morning and had these in the oven early. These turned out to to be drop scones instead of kneaded and cut scones as the dough was too soft. I won't be doing much baking while the weather stays this hot.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 15, 2025? #46604
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

                        I had another batch of pancakes to finish off the strawberries. These were about 3 tablespoons of batter per pancake, 3-4 in a pan about 3 inches in diameter. I've love the idea of Silver Dollar Pancakes since I was a child and these are much easier to flip than a larger size pancake. I fill in a serving spoon/large tablespoon full of batter to make them.
                        I also did Taiwanese Bao yesterday. I wanted to cook them for lunch but my father insisted on going to the store for Russet Baking potatoes, the Yukon gold potatoes weren't good enough for him. I ate mine with stirfried chicken. They turn out well a little over risen.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 15, 2025? #46551
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

                          I was very fortunate to run into strawberries at the Farmer's market. Very red and ripe, probably too ripe but I made a batch of pancakes for about 2/3 of the box and they were wonderful. I piled my pancakes with strawberries. Yum. I'll have to make some more pancakes and force myself to finish the strawberries. Maybe I'll try strawberries and icecream on pancakes.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 1, 2025? #46488
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

                            BakerAunt; Your pizza sauce ideas sound good. I'll keep them in mind for next time. I like the idea of Muir fire-roasted tomatoes.

                            I did potato rolls with raisins yesterday. Nice and light and the raisins keep it from being too boring.

                            in reply to: New Tortilla Press #46483
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

                              I think I should start with the basics. Does anyone have a good tortilla recipe? I might try making small pies in muffin tins.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of June 1, 2025? #46482
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

                                I did another pepperoni pizza with mozarella and chedder cheese and pepperoni. No tomato sauce. I can't use up a jar before it spoils and don't have enough room in the freezer. Its making a nice savory snack and meal substitute for hot days.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of May 25, 2025? #46414
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

                                  I did steamed plain bao ( mantou) from the KAF Taiwanese Bao recipe. I made this drier than previous recipes so it held its shape better instead of just falling over like a pancake. I like the results but a slightly wetter dough would be easier to handle. Maybe I'll add an additional tablespoon of water next time.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,353 total)