Sun. Oct 4th, 2026

skeptic7

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 1,353 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Daily Quiz for March 28, 2020 #22408
    skeptic7
    Participant

      I got it.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 22, 2020 #22406
      skeptic7
      Participant

        I did my three bean, gabanzo, Great Northern white, navy bean, soup yesterday. It was a take on a vegetable and fennel bean soup, with celeric instead of the fennel. There was a disproportionate amount of celeric in there. I had bought a really big celeric root, and while I only use half of it, it still was more celeric than onions and carrots and celery combined. The soup was also far too boring in color with the white beans, and white celeric predominating over tomatoes and carrots and parsley. It was solved from total blandness by a little harissa ( Mediterranean hot pepper sauce ) and a sharp Vermont cheddar cheese sandwich. The good news is that celeric is a perfectly acceptable soup vegetable keeping its shape nicely.
        I'm going to be eating this soup for ages. Luckily the jar of Harissa sauce is nearly full.

        in reply to: Washington Post on the influx of new bakers #22370
        skeptic7
        Participant

          I wish someone would make a bread bucket. I had an antique one with a hook and a crank. It was designed to clamp on a table. I used to do 3 or 4 loaves of bread at once. However it was so old that it was made in the days of lead solder, so I gave it away.
          I had a more modern one, but it didn't have a clamp and did have a tendency to move when you tried to use it.

          If you had lots of money, the Anxstrum ( sp ) mixer would make a nice bread kneading machine. That is however more expensive than a bread machine.

          in reply to: Daily Quiz for March 26, 2020 #22369
          skeptic7
          Participant

            I got it!. BakerAunt, I think it would make a good scone.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 22, 2020 #22352
            skeptic7
            Participant

              I just baked 4 chicken thighs, won't eat them tonight its to warm up for tomorrow's lunch and supper.
              I wanted to make garbanzo beans into soup, but found I didn't have 2 cups of garbanzo beans. I looked into my cupboard and managed to get find two cups of dried beans by combining garbanzo, Great Northern and navy beans. This is now soaking and I'll make tomato/vegetable/3 bean soup tomorrow.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 22, 2020 #22330
              skeptic7
              Participant

                Chocomouse; How is the weather? I read about the spring NorthEaster in the New England area.

                BakerAunt; congratulations on the chickpeas.

                in reply to: Washington Post on the influx of new bakers #22329
                skeptic7
                Participant

                  Well that explains the run on flour and yeast in my area. I'll have to look at ways to stretch my yeast supply. If I get down to my last tablespoon of yeast I guess I could make a poolish or biga and use parts of it instead of dried yeast to make bread. I I kept it in the refrigerator, it wouldn't develop that sour tang of a true sourdough.

                  in reply to: Daily Quiz for March 25, 2020 #22322
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

                    I got it!

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 22, 2020 #22321
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

                      I did Whole Wheat Hot Cross buns -- mixed the dough on Sunday, kneaded it and formed it on Monday, baked Monday night, and then gave almost all of it away on Tuesday. Well aside from the ones I ate. This was a doggy safe version, dates, cranberries, orange and lemon peel, but no raisins or currants or prunes. I gave it to friends who have dogs, and one friend who likes whole wheat and less sweet pastries. Dogs need to celebrate Easter too! I made maple icing for the crosses.
                      Traditional Hot Cross buns need to come with a warning that they aren't dog friendly.

                      in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #22316
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

                        After checking 4 stores, I finally got some KA whole wheat flour. The first two stores were closed, the third had sugar but no flour, and the last had whole wheat flour but not white. I'm in the Washington DC area, and the article that Mike reposted applies to me. The last two stores didn't have any yeast. There was only the empty cardboard display boxes which used to have envelopes of yeast.
                        A friend of mine said that she had to bake with the last of her 2 year old yeast and it was working very slowly.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 22, 2020 #22279
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

                          Aaron; If you want to be decadent use maple syrup for the liquid instead of milk. This is for the glaze on the cinnamon roll.
                          I have made very good cinnamon rolls with 1/3 white whole wheat flour and 2/3 all purpose flour. It is slightly more chewy than all all purpose flour which I like. Part bread flour and part white whole wheat flour should also make a good cinnamon roll.

                          • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by skeptic7.
                          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 22, 2020 #22271
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

                            Aaron; I use milk/confectioner's sugar on cinnamon rolls all the time. I also like the rolls plain.

                            in reply to: Daily Quiz for March 23, 2020 #22261
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

                              I missed this, which is particularly bad since I eat a lot of brown rice.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of March 22, 2020 #22253
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

                                I made chicken soup in a pressure cooker. I had onion, carrot, celery, garlic and chicken legs, with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme to be traditional. This is much faster than using a slow cooker for the soup and just as tasty.
                                I also tried sweet and sour cabbage which I didn't like that well. I might try this again and follow the recipe more carefully before I give up on it.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the week of March 15, 2020? #22229
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

                                  I use white whole wheat flour in quick breads and cookies without problems. I can also ahve 30% whole wheat flour in yeast breads using either white or red whole wheat , with the rest of the flour being white flour.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 1,353 total)