What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020?

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Rye bread freezes very well and it should keep for a couple of month without noticeable degradation. Over time, frozen breads tend to get ice on them, which can create some freezer burn, especially if they're sliced. Better bagging or waiting longer after they're baked/sliced might help.

I slice it then freeze the slices, so that all I have to do is take out as many slices as I need that day.

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Mike - the marble is beautiful.

In the bakery we would double wrap things in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. The key was supposed to be to have an inner layer flush against the food and an outer layer to protect against frost. Not sure of the science behind it but it seemed to work. We always had a couple items frozen in case someone came in without notice and needed an "emergency" cake or pie.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I also do the double wrap when I freeze baked goods. I then pop them into a bag.

I recall Mrs. Cindy wrapping her biscuits and putting them into bags. She would leave the empty bags in the freezer, so they would be there when she needed them. One day, her puzzled husband came in, with a confused look on his face, holding her cache of empty bags from the freezer.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
          aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I, too, keep empty bags in the freezer. There is no reason not to reuse my Ziploc bags! I think I learned that trick from you BA...

But my wife is confused. Annoyed. Resigned. Tolerant. But not confused.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I keep my bags in the freezer too.

skeptic7
              Participant

I reuse my ziploc freezer bags too, but I don't keep them in the freezer. The smaller ones are rolled up in a old quart yogurt container, the 2 gallon size are on the shelf with the "good" ie unused dinner plates.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.