What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making the Munich Penny Rolls from TRB today and also making another batch of Hamelman's Semolina Bread. That's becoming our daily bread.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I bought a Norpro non stick pie plate this past week so I had to make a pie. An apple/blueberry pie. I took 3 apples and cubed them, cooked them down a little with a little sugar and cinnamon, That is the bottom layer. One pint of blueberries tossed with some sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon. That is the top layer. I made an oil crust using Jenny Jones recipe. I have used it before and found that one to be the easiest to use (2 1/2 cups of flour, a little sugar and salt, 1/2 cup each oil and milk - I used grapeseed oil).

It just came out of the oven. It's not the prettiest because I made the top crust just a little too small. If it looks good after I slice it, I'll post another pic.

Pie

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Just be sure not to slice it in the pan, that could damage the non-stick finish.

RiversideLen
          Participant

It baked up very nicely, I probably overbaked it by about 5 minutes. I don't bake pies often enough to nail it down. The bottom crust was nicely browned. The Norpro pie plate is worth the $10. Some of the filing bubbled up on the side, so I had to run a plastic knife over it to loosen it, but after I did that the pie slid out very easily.

pie2

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            skeptic7
            Participant

Looks good!!

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Len your pie and crust looks very good,glad the pan worked just as Mike said it would!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My guess is if you had given it a good hard tug, it would have come loose, I've had the cherry pie filling spill over a couple of times, and the pecan pie I made in the Norpro pan spilled over the side onto the oven deck, but it came clean with a good hard twist.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made Len's buns today, following his recipe exactly except buttermilk instead of milk, shaping them into 10 buns at 81 grams each, and baking them in the bun pan. I added a scant teaspoon of whole wheat flour as I kneaded to get the tackiness I prefer. I did not get the oven spring that Len showed us in photos last week, and mine also did not get very brown, only a very light tan. They were very soft and the dough was wonderful to work with. The crumb was fine, and the entire bun nicely soft, and it also held together very well in spite of a lot of ingredients served inside it: kielbase, onions, peppers, and hot spicy mustard. It's difficult to say much about the flavor with that combo, but overall they were delicious! I'll make them again.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Monday afternoon, I baked Bischofsbrot (recipe here at Nebraska Kitchen), replacing the 6 Tbs. of melted butter with 4 Tbs. oil whisked with 2 Tbs. buttermilk. I used one cup of bittersweet chocolate chips that I bought from KAF before the high cholesterol was diagnosed. I’m allowing myself the chocolate splurge since I replaced the butter in this cake. I didn’t have currents, so I used half golden raisins and half regular raisins. The regular ones were a bit dry, so I put a little hot water over them and let them sit, then blotted them dry with paper towels. I had about eighteen maraschino cherries left in a jar, so I used all of them. I replaced ¾ of the AP flour with barley flour.

After making a fresh batch of the Grease, I used it to coat the pan, and once baked the cake released beautifully. I accidentally had the oven on convection for the first 30 minutes, but changed it back to regular baking, rotating the loaf pan at that time. The cake tested done at 90 minutes. I really like using the stand mixer for this recipe as the eggs must be beaten for a while at high speed, then the sugar added 2 Tbs. at a time, then continue until the mixture is thick. When I first started baking this recipe, I used a hand mixer, and even then, it was hard on my arm, not to mention having to stop to add the sugar.

I also am baking two loaves of my Buttermilk Sunflower Oat Wheat Bread, with an additional ½ cup of whole wheat flour replacing that much bread flour. I reduced the sunflower seeds to 2/3 cup. The bread is on its first rise, so it will be a late evening.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

My post disappeared after I edited it, so here it is again:

On Monday I baked Bischofsbrot. The recipe is posted here at Nebraska Kitchen. I began a thread about substituting oil for melted butter, read the responses from Mike and Aaron, then did a tweak. I also substituted 3/4 barley flour for that much of the AP. My experience is that barley flour gives a bit softer texture, rather like cake flour or whole wheat pastry flour. I had no currents, so I used golden raisins in their place. The cake--which is what it is--baked well, and came out of the pan easily. (I used a fresh batch of the Grease, which seems to me to work best when its freshest, although I always stir it up when it has been sitting.) I'll slice it on Tuesday and report back on the other thread.

On Monday evening, as we were out of bread, I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Sunflower Oat Wheat Bread, substituting in an extra 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for that much bread flour. the bread rose and baked well. These are 9x5 pan loaves. I'll freeze one.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm not sure why, but this is the second or third post from you that my anti-spam filter has classified as spam after you edited it. I marked it as not spam, let's see if it stays up.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Chocomouse, when I use buttermilk I add a 1/4 tsp of baking powder per cup of buttermilk. That might have some affect on the oven spring but I always get nice browning on the buns even when using regular milk. Anyway, I'm glad you like them.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Len, I use buttermilk in most of my breads/buns, and never add baking powder or soda to any yeasted doughs. And I almost always get good oven spring. I'm not sure why they didn't brown -- I usually use honey in yeasted doughs also, and I've noticed the browning varies a lot. I get better browning when I use sugar than when I use honey. I might be having some issues with my oven; I know I'm having issues with one of the burners, and my stove/oven is 35 years old. The last batch of cookies I made did not bake evenly. I use an oven thermometer, but think I'll clean the oven thoroughly before I go through the bother of moving it around to check the temp. Anyway, we did like the buns and I'll make them again - thanks for sharing your recipe!

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I've baked Len's buns as a loaf of bread and as buns, and my experience is that the recipe is at its finest in buns--soft and delicious. I've always put in buttermilk. I usually get good browning, and I don't use baking powder.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I meant to say baking soda. Anyway, that's interesting Chocomouse and BakerAunt, the cooking shows had me believing that was a rule.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.