Wed. Sep 30th, 2026

skeptic7

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 1,353 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the week of May 31, 2020? #24391
    skeptic7
    Participant

      Italian Cook; I read in one cook book that old recipes used to have the baking soda dissolved in water because the baking soda used to be lumpy instead of finely ground, so the cook would dissolve the baking soda instead of risking soda lumps in the finished product.

      in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020? #24389
      skeptic7
      Participant

        I did "Mother's Raisin Bread" from the "Beard on Bread" cookbook. The recipe as written makes 2 loaves of raisin bread, I did a half recipe to make one standard loaf. I also changed the recipe to use an overnight sponge instead of a straight dough. I put the loaf pan inside a cold cast iron dutch oven. and baked the whole thing at 350 degrees for an hour.
        It turned out very nicely except the top was rather flat. I think plumping the raisins in sherry added too much liquid or perhaps too much alcohol. Does alcohol soften the dough? This was my first all white flour bread in quite some time. My brother had been playing with the South Beach diet in 2002 or so and I started using whole wheat flour at that time.

        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020? #24328
        skeptic7
        Participant

          Yesterday I took the honey walnuts from this recipe.
          https://thetakeout.com/recipe-how-to-make-honey-walnut-shrimp-chinese-takeou-1841899939

          and added them to a batch of buttermilk scones. It was great. I don't know if I will do it again soon as the walnut pieces were sticky and messy when I nibbled on them -- not all the candied walnuts made it into the scones. However the walnuts made the scones much more interesting and I cheerfully ate them with the rest of the strawberries over two days, and by themselves for snacks and a light lunch.

          Has anyone made buttermilk raisin bread with white flour? I have found this doesn't work with all whole wheat flour. The buttermilk whole wheat bread is fine and tasty and light, but adding currants or other fruit makes it heavy. It took me three or four tries to figure out what went wrong.

          in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 29, 2020 #24327
          skeptic7
          Participant

            I got it.

            in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 27, 2020 #24257
            skeptic7
            Participant

              I missed this. I knew bacon should have some protein but had no idea of how much.

              in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 26, 2020 #24223
              skeptic7
              Participant

                I knew this too!

                in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 24, 2020? #24205
                skeptic7
                Participant

                  Riverside Len; The bread and sandwich looks wonderful.

                  BakerAunt; you certainly had a busy weekend. I like the sound of the Cinnamon raisin bread.

                  in reply to: Coming back from the Wilderness #24200
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

                    Thats wonderful preserving all that food and using it. I am so envious. Good strawberries are expensive at the farmers' market and hard to find elsewhere. I had a big box from the supermarket and it was unripe and tasteless. I cooked the last of it with a pork chop as it wasn't worth eating fresh.
                    I'm now working on finishing up 2 pints from the farmers' market. Red and sweet and wonderful.

                    in reply to: Look at the Size of Those Mixers! #24199
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

                      Those are huge mixers! Looks like a cartoon.

                      in reply to: Happy Birthday to S. Wirth! #24198
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

                        Happy Birthday! It has been a pleasure conversing with you and I hope to do it for a long time.

                        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 17, 2020? #24197
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

                          BakerAunt;
                          Thanks for the information. I hope to try it soon. I bought some square 1/2 by 1/2 wood doweling and with the help of a lot of aluminum foil plan to make my own molds. I am going to save the last of my whole wheat flour for this.

                          Saturday I made plain white flour scones to eat with strawberries. A little tough I think I over mixed them. Its odd baking with only white flour again. Its going to take time to get in practice.

                          in reply to: Daily Quiz for May 24, 2020 #24096
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

                            I knew this. There was an article in New York Time magazine about a group trying to bring back the American Chestnut tree.

                            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/magazine/american-chestnut.html?searchResultPosition=1

                            Here is a page from that foundation. The previous page might be behind a firewall
                            https://www.acf.org/science-strategies/tree-breeding/

                            in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #24045
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

                              I saw a suggestion to wash the glasses with soap and water, leaving a slight soap film on the glasses so that the water didn't stick. I haven't tried that. A mask which fit carefully around the nose so that water vapor wouldn't travel up should work also.

                              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of May 17, 2020? #24039
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

                                BakerAunt; How did the Pan au Chocolat come out? do you think the strong taste on the WW sourdough is from the whole wheat or from the sourdough starter?

                                in reply to: KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales #24032
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

                                  Supposedly there are bakeries that are doing that around here. They weren't in my neighborhood and I didn't want to drive around so I didn't write down the contact information. I wonder if they are still doing it.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 1,353 total)