What are you Cooking the week of March 22, 2020

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of March 22, 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm going to make a meat loaf with black beans and mushrooms today. That'll provide 2-3 days worth of meals.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had sausage,eggs,rice and toast for supper.

Mike we love meatloaf and like sandwiches with the leftovers.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Sunday dinner was leftover pork loin roast on freshly baked Len's buns, with microwaved broccoli on the side. We ate in the front room next to the fire and watched the March snowstorm. So far, we've had 1 1/2 inches, and it is still snowing.

chocomouse
          Participant

BakerAunt, we are expecting that storm to arrive late tomorrow afternoon; glad you enjoyed it! In anticipation of more snow, tonight we had grilled strip steaks, potatoes roasted on the grill, broccoli, and green salad. I'm thinking tomorrow I will use the two pounds of mushrooms I bought yesterday to make mushroom soup for myself, and I'll open a can of Grillin' Beans for my husband.

skeptic7
            Participant

I made chicken soup in a pressure cooker. I had onion, carrot, celery, garlic and chicken legs, with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme to be traditional. This is much faster than using a slow cooker for the soup and just as tasty.
              I also tried sweet and sour cabbage which I didn't like that well. I might try this again and follow the recipe more carefully before I give up on it.

RiversideLen
              Participant

That's a lot of snow, BakerAunt. We got snow here too but it melts on the pavement, it's only sticking on grass and other vegetation.

Tonight I made pizza again, and a piece of cake for dessert. So, I guess you can say I had pie and cake for dinner.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Ya'll have the snow and we have the air condition on.

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast with enough for leftovers one night.I do as you Mike I repackage all my hamburger in small packs about 12 oz. also.We have been cutting back on the meat for quite awhile.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We're having leftover pea soup with Limpa bread. We had some warmer rain last night into today, so the snow is now gone. My husband measured what had accumulated on an outside table and thinks there was about 2 1/2 inches.

chocomouse
                    Participant

We have about 3 inches of snow and it is still coming down. It's beautiful, but getting dark out now. Today I made mushroom soup and with it had Gruyere-olive rolls from the freezer.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I had spaghetti and meatballs.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I cooked boneless ribs on top of stove with BBQ gravy ,mashed potatoes and green beans.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Tuesday, I roasted a chicken atop a bed of cut up potatoes and-carrots, tossed with olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary, thyme, sage, and a bit of sweet curry. I rubbed the chicken with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with poultry seasoning. I’m also turning the roasting pan halfway through both the initial high heat time and the lowered heat time.

I also have cooking on the stove a large pot of garbanzo beans that I soaked last night in salt water, drained, and cooked in more salt water. These are beans that got packed away when we first moved here almost three years ago, so they are old. I’m experimenting as to whether they can be edible.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I made pork chops, had some leftover pasta sauce so I made pasta, with so many items being out of stock at the stores I'm being careful not to waste anything. Had it with broccoli and carrot.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We had some braunschweiger on salty rye rolls and a slice of banana-raisin cream pie. I also had a small bowl of the partially fermented sauerkraut, which is starting to develop a nice acidic tang to it.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Update on the "ancient" garbanzo/chickpeas: I started cooking them at 5 p.m., then decided at 6 p.m. that higher heat was needed. I checked them at 7:30, and they were not done. I let them continue cooking, then checked at 9:30, and they were done, and tasty, with better texture than any I've cooked without the salt.

Now I want to find a recipe for chickpea patties that does not require unusual ingredients, so Bon Appetit recipes are out. I thought that I'd seen one recently, but I cannot recall where I saw it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.