What are you Cooking the week of March 29, 2020

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of March 29, 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Stay safe, everyone.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I am making chicken broth this windy, Sunday afternoon, using the remains of the chicken we roasted earlier this week.

Sunday dinner will be my healthier take on my Mom's hamburger stroganoff, with nonfat Greek yogurt standing in for the sour cream. We'll have it over brown and mixed rice, which means 2 rice cooker measures of brown rice and one measure of four kinds of specialty rice.

navlys
        Participant

Looks like everyone in our condo is going or gone back home so I had better use up the food in my freezer because there will be no one to give it to. I made spaghetti with meat sauce and reused the leftover sauce on sausage ravioli 3 days later. I still have steak (tenderloin), chicken breasts, sausage, turkey meatballs eggs and chicken thighs to last us until 4/20.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My plan for tonight is to make Reubens using some of the sauerkraut I started earlier this month and some rye bread from the freezer.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I baked corn bread and we had stew beef ladled over the top.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a bacon chicken burger and had it with whipped sweet potato.

chocomouse
                Participant

Yesterday, I made a 9 bean soup, and added slice Kielbase and frozen mixed vegetables. With it we had rye rolls.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Tuesday I tried a new recipe for lunch, “Greek Chickpea Patties with Tomato Sauce—Revithosoutzoukakia” from the Olive Tomato website:

I deleted the water in the patties, as there was some juice from my home cooked chickpeas, and the tomato had some juice. I added 2 Tbs. flax meal and used ½ cup white whole wheat rather than AP flour. The mixture was still too loose to make patties, even after sitting a bit. I added 4 Tbs. Panko, and that brought it together. I did not add any salt, as my chickpeas were soaked, then cooked in salted water. I did not coat the patties in flour, and I used a skillet with a bit of grapeseed oil over a medium-low heat,not the 1/4 inch of olive oil specified. I shaped the patties, six at a time, using a Zeroll #30 (2 Tbs.) scoop. My skillet holds six at a time, and they hold together better if flattened right before being put into the skillet. After the first batch, and heat adjustment, they cooked for 1 minute and 30 seconds on each side. I had 25 patties when I finished. I made the sauce as well, but I drizzled it over the six patties that I ate. The sauce does not have much taste on its own, but it works well with the patties. I’ve stored the remaining patties in a flat dish and poured the sauce over them. I would cook this recipe again, but I think that I will forgo the flour and next time just use the panko and the flax meal. These make a tasty lunch. I might try some on a sandwich tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I declared the first batch of sauerkraut done and packed it into the fridge, then I started another 3 pound batch in my crock.

Tonight we're having BLTs.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I cooked some dry lima beans,rice and cubed pork,soaked some diced onion in vinegar to put atop rice and limas,so good.Enough limas and rice for soup one day soon.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made a pork roast this afternoon. I will have a pork sandwich and leftover sweet potato.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For Tuesday night’s dinner, I roasted nine chicken thighs (big batch cooking). In the countertop convection oven, I roasted some cut-up red potatoes, tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with Penzey’s Bavarian Seasoning. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I did cottage pie for last night's supper and today's lunch. The filling was the ground beef and onions and carrots and potato mixture I used for the Cornish Meat Pie last week. Yesterday's topping was mashed celeric, and today's was mash potatoes. The celeric mashed up okay and had a mild slightly turnipy taste, but mashed potatoes made a much better topping. It was softer and richer and smoother. Both toppings benefited from butter and pepper.
                              Individual cottage pies are easier than individual pot pies and possibly have less fat -- I wouldn't know as I didn't actually measure the butter that went into the mash potatoes.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had leftover spaghetti from the freezer,tossed salad and garlic toast.

chocomouse
                                Participant

We had pork chops on the grill, leftover zucchini-cheese-rice, and tossed salad. One more salad meal, and I will be very short of fresh produce - just 1/4 head of cabbage and 4-5 stalks of celery. I was hoping to go 4 weeks without grocery shopping (I do have a freezer with lots of garden veggies) but looks like I'll only last another week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.