Sat. Oct 10th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 8,098 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Vintage Cookbooks #44009
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      A few years ago my wife brought hone a book from the UNL library that had recipes from the 1800's. The bread recipe started with "Grind up a peck of wheat"...

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43997
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        We finished off the Veal Zurich tonight, and I had a salad too.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43980
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I made spaghetti squash 'lasagna' tonight. Should have used a bigger pan, I was running out of space but it needed more cheese and more tomato sauce. Was pretty good anyway.

          Kinda soupy, not sure if that's the spaghetti squash, my home-made marinara, something else, or a combination of things.

          in reply to: Vintage Cookbooks #43977
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I suspect most of my cookbooks fall more into the 'useful' category than the 'collectible' category, but it is nice to think there might be a demand for a few of them when I'm gone.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43974
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              There are those who think the presence of hooch in your starter is a good thing and those who think it is a bad thing. I tend to think of hooch as being a characteristic of a starter that is overdue to be fed, so I'm pretty much in the latter camp, but that can mean feeding a starter at least daily, and there are studies and anecdotal incidents that suggest twice-daily may be the optimal schedule. But unless you're a commercial bakery operating 7 days a week, that's just not practical.

              Bakeries that take a day or two off every week often report that their starter is sluggish after being idle for over 24 hours.

              Refrigerating your starter vs keeping it at room-temperature is another home/commercial bakery dichotomy. There are times in the baking cycle when retardation of dough can be a good thing, but that's a separate issue entirely.

              And as I have noted more than once, commercial bakeries do not throw out starter or scramble to find things to make with it, they adjust their feeding schedule so that the feeding occurs several hours before they pull out what they need for the next day's production.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43967
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                The chocolate meringue cookies, made with Splenda, were good but I think they got over-baked a bit and were a bit crunchy but not scorched, so next time I'll cut the baking time some.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43964
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  We split a T-bone steak with mushrooms and a salad.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43959
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Mike when you click on the picture the recipe does come up.

                    Yeah, it won't always display the full image/page from other sites, I think it's a bug in WordPress but it's probably a feature. 🙂 Probably has something to do with the size of the image.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43958
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Dill flavor takes a few days to develop, so I'm not surprised.

                      Tonight's veal Zurich and spaetzle was great. I made the spaetzle using Carbalose, so it's about a third the carbs of spaetzle made with AP flour, about 10 net carbs/serving (the veal Zurich is only around 4 carbs/serving.)

                      And it tasted pretty good with the veal.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43949
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        Interesting lace top on the coffee cake.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43940
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I made custard this afternoon and plan to try making keto-friendly chocolate meringue cookies later tonight.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43939
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            We had tuna melts (without the bread) again.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 15, 2024? #43934
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I'm making another batch of tomato sauce tonight.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 8, 2024? #43930
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Fresh mozzarella has a short shelf life once opened (I've had it go bad in a week), so I stick with the shredded stuff. I've been buying it at Costco recently (because our Sams Club no longer carries the whole-milk version), and freezing it in roughly 6 ounce baggies, because it will go bad in 2-3 weeks once opened.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 8, 2024? #43926
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  We had BLT's for lunch and steak with mushrooms and broccoli for supper. And I finished off the last of the keto ice cream to celebrate both Nebraska and Northwestern winning tonight.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 8,098 total)