Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,446 through 5,460 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 3, 2020 #20223
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I'm told black garlic shows up in several of the Blue Apron meal kits.

      With my wife's garlic allergy, it's not something I'm likely to make or cook with. Some sources use it like a dessert, as it has a sweet taste.

      Here's some more information: Black Garlic

      in reply to: Daily Quiz for December 30, 2019 #20157
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I should have said 'fresh pineapple'.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019? #20128
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I made a batch of pastry cream Saturday, so we can make a trifle for New Years Eve and New Year's Day.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019? #20126
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            We had tomato soup with fried cheese sandwiches. We're going to have cinnamon toast for dessert once our appetites have returned.

            in reply to: Using Food Waste in a Restaurant #20122
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I'm with you, though I do agree that adding coffee or espresso powder does enhance the flavor of the chocolate, I can still taste the coffee.

              Our instructor in chocolate school thought that if you're going to add coffee to chocolate, add enough that you can taste it, rather than try to guess if it's there.

              in reply to: Using Food Waste in a Restaurant #20117
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I would think coffee grounds would have to be re-ground to a powder to be usable in food.

                Not being a coffee drinker, I don't know what would happen if you ground the beans to a powder before brewing.

                Coffee-flavored foods aren't high on our list of things to eat, but I'd probably taste something made with coffee flour.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the week of December 22, 2019? #20116
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I'm making Vienna bread today.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019? #20105
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    One of the reasons I want to make my own sauerkraut is that I think commercial ones err on the high side for salt content. You can always rinse sauerkraut off, and I'll do that when I put it on hot dogs or on a Reuben.

                    in reply to: The Noma Guide to Fermentation #20095
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I got through the chapter on making shoyu (soy sauce, for example), it is a fairly complex task, and the text explains why most soy sauces use wheat- Soy sauce started out as a by-product in making miso called tamari, but demand for it grew so large they had to find ways to produce a lot more of it. By adding wheat and bypassing some of the steps use to make miso, they were able to increase production of soy sauce significantly.

                      There was a Wall Street Journal online article recently in which it talked about why someone would want to pay $50 or more for a small bottle of soy sauce. The answer is obvious, artisanal soy sauces pack a lot more flavor. I'll give the link, but it may be behind their paywall:
                      WSJ Soy Sauce article

                      in reply to: Using Food Waste in a Restaurant #20094
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        Not being a coffee drinker, I find coffee grounds messy and smelly, and if brewing coffee only extracts 1% of the bean, I can see that as a tremendous waste of food/energy. The Noma book I'm reading also has a section on using coffee grounds to make a version of shoyu (like a soy sauce), but I don't think that fully utilizes the bean, either.

                        It would be interesting to work in an experimental kitchen like that, wouldn't it?

                        in reply to: Dumplings #20093
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          The easiest way is to cut one open. Keep the lid on, it takes about 15 minutes in the steam for them to cook.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019? #20076
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Christmas dinner was ham, potatoes, DGBC and a relish tray.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019? #20064
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              We had our traditional oyster stew and chili dinner for Christmas Eve. I also made another batch of the Finnish cinnamon rolls to go with the chili.

                              in reply to: Wholegrain Crispbread by Jan Hedh #20054
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I think a medium rye is unlikely to be whole grain, though dark rye probably is.

                                I still haven't found a local source for pumpernickel flour, I did find a few promising places online but I'll wait until after the holidays to try ordering from them.

                                I may just get some rye berries and mill them myself, then I can control the degree of fineness from pretty coarse to fairly fine, and it'll be whole meal.

                                in reply to: Wholegrain Crispbread by Jan Hedh #20048
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  When working with rye flours, there two things to consider, how finely the rye berries are ground and how much of the germ and bran are included. (And then there are rye chops, which are to rye berries what cracked wheat is to wheat berries.)

                                  White rye flour is similar to white wheat flour in that it is mainly endosperm, with little germ or bran. As you add in more germ and bran, it becomes cream colored, then medium dark, then dark.

                                  A dark rye flour can be finely ground.

                                  Pumpernickel is a dark rye flour that is very coarsely ground.

                                  Here's the whole grains council's page on types of rye flour:
                                  Rye Flours

                                  I've never heard of putting raw lentils as a topping on bread, either. I didn't see any obvious references to that on Google.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 5,446 through 5,460 (of 8,095 total)