What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 22, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Christmas Eve, Christmas Dinner, Boxing Day, Bowl Games, lots of reasons for holiday cooking this week. What's on the table?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We will have our wonderful leftovers from last night that should last another two days.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

For dinner on Tuesday (Christmas Eve), I roasted two chicken thighs. We ate them with the rest of the butternut squash, barley, and kale, with additional mixed vegetables on the side.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had our family Christmas gathering last night, Christmas Eve. The dinner menu was ham, potatoes au gratin, whole kernal corn, fresh fruit salad, broccoli salad, and frosted rolls. After sharing gifts and lots of memories and laughs (a group of five college age grandkids is a riot!) we snacked from the cookie trays.

Today we'll have dinner with my sister and her husband. I'm bringing appetizers (shrimp, a cheese ball, assorted sliced cheeses, crackers, olives, and a few other simple "open the jars" foods) and wine - so no real cooking happening here.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had our traditional oyster stew and chili dinner for Christmas Eve. I also made another batch of the Finnish cinnamon rolls to go with the chili.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For Christmas dinner, I roasted cubed sweet potatoes tossed in a bit of olive oil, adding maple syrup for the last 15 minutes. My husband roasted the turkey.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made a beef strip roast, whipped sweet potatoes and broccoli.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On the day after Christmas, I'm making broth from the turkey bones.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Christmas dinner was ham, potatoes, DGBC and a relish tray.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had baked turkey breast,baked ham,dressing from the freezer that I'd made Thanksgiving,mixed greens turnips and mustard from freezer,sweet potato souffle with marshmallow topping,cranberry sauce,watergate salad,rolls and lemon pie frozen Mr.Edwards the next best thing to my Mothers pie.All was good,we had our dinner Christmas Eve as our grandchildren and son had to leave Christmas morning around 10 a.m.to drive to Jacksonville Airport son going back to Texas and grands going to New Jersey to spend time with their Mom's family.We had a great time but sure was sad to see it end.Christmas day we just chilled out all day now my husband is sick with cold so it's quiet here.No appetite for him so I'm trying to keep him hydrated.I just got caught up around here and I hope you all had a great Christmas.Looking forward to next year.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Okay, I ignored my best medical knowledge. All the talk about sauerkraut made me hungry for it. Previously, I had noted an Allrecipes recipe for Slow Cooker Sauerkraut and Sausage. It uses, as I read it, sausage in the tubes. One reviewer had made a small version using kielbasa. I had a can of sauerkraut and kielbasa in the house, so I pulled out the slow cooker. Easy prep recipe. It was delicious, but oh, my, way salty. So now I'm chugging water. But I enjoyed every bite while I was eating it. I served it without mashed potatoes, which was a good thing. I love sauerkraut on top of mashed potatoes. I put a pint in the freezer, but I won't use it for at least a year or more because of the salt. But it sure was good.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

One of the reasons I want to make my own sauerkraut is that I think commercial ones err on the high side for salt content. You can always rinse sauerkraut off, and I'll do that when I put it on hot dogs or on a Reuben.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Friday, I made “muddled” mashed potatoes (roughly mashed) and gravy from some of the turkey drippings I had saved to go with leftover turkey and microwaved frozen mixed vegetables.

Joan--How nice that you had your son and grandchildren there!

Italiancook
                              Participant

I made blueberry pancakes for the freezer.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Italiancook, that sounds delicious, but my weakness is to put it over noodles.

Tonight I made a stir fry using leftover roast beef, with red onion, carrot and broccoli. Served over pasta.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.