Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,431 through 5,445 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20343
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I don't get king cakes and I don't get these, either.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20333
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        That's why we prefer casement windows, they seal tighter.

        in reply to: Interesting Article on Garlic Use in Italy and America #20330
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          When we were in Turin in 2006, we had no trouble finding garlic-free dishes.

          But here in the states, 'Italian' cuisine without garlic is a rarity.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20327
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            If they're allowing air in along the sides, they weren't installed properly.

            When we built our house we went with Pella casement windows. 22 years later they're still air-tight.

            in reply to: Making Laminated Doughs by Hand (YouTube link) #20323
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I just read an interesting paper on the BBGA site on laminated dough layers and optimal layer thickness. It also had a lot of information on butterfat. I'll see if I can get the OK to post it here. If not, I can summarize it.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20322
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I have taken the yeast out of the freezer and then forgot to put it in a few times. I tend to put ingredients that are staged to my left and ingredients that have been used to my right. So if the salt container is to my right, the salt is in.

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 9, 2020 #20321
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Egg yolks begin to thicken at around 149 degrees, which I believe is high enough for the egg to be safe. So a 4 minute egg is probably right at the safe point. If you like fried eggs with the yolk runny, that's going to be a similar temperature.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20296
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Shows like Chopped do their best to increase the drama and tension, like providing only one ice cream machine. Also, there are sometimes only small amounts of some items in the pantry, and there have been shows where an item was available for one round of the competition but not in a subsequent round. (I remember a dessert round where there were no eggs, for example.)

                    But people bump into each other all the time in real kitchens, too.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20294
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I remember a cooking show where they were making bread from scratch in two hours. Sorry, folks, but that's just too darned fast to develop much flavor.

                      I prefer to chill pastry cream before using it, because I think it handles better that way for piping, but my wife often uses it while its still a little warm. And if you're going to mix it with whipped cream (or low-cal Cool Whip), it really needs to be cool or you lose volume as you mix it.

                      in reply to: Land O’Lakes in Bankruptcy #20286
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        Based on the Wall Street Journal article on the Borden's bankruptcy, this one could get a bit messy, the major creditors were apparently unaware the Chapter 11 filing was coming.

                        in reply to: Cinnamon Baking Chips #20284
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          This may be the recipe you're thinking of:
                          Cinnamon Chips

                          in reply to: Cinnamon Baking Chips #20265
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Are these different from the ones you can get through Amazon and occasionally find in stores?

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20258
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Cultured buttermilk always seem a bit thicker than milk to me, though according to the USDA database it has around the same percentage of water as milk, but maybe you had some really thick buttermilk.

                              I don't know if there's anything in buttermilk that would react with the other ingredients to make it thicker.

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20257
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Well, I use this link:
                                https://groups.io/g/BBGAorg/topics

                                It looks like they loaded several years worth of history from the Yahoo Groups version, so you can search for older threads.

                                I disabled the email notices.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20247
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Over on the BBGA forum, a member recently posted a recipe for apple bread using the lees left over from making/fermenting apple cider. (That's the thick residue at the bottom of the fermenting vessel. It has a lot of dead yeast cells, so you have to add some live yeast.)

                                  I'm looking around for a source for some apple cider lees to try the recipe, the poster said it makes great toast.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 5,431 through 5,445 (of 8,095 total)