Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 8,094 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of January 3, 2021? #28098
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      The second batch of empanadas is better than the first one, I added more caramel to the filling and used more sugar on the outside.

      My goal was to come up with something close to the caramel apple empanadas that Taco Bell used to sell. They discontinued them a year or so ago, and I haven't been to a Taco Bell since, and have no desire to ever eat there again. (There are plenty of places I can get a better taco or burrito within a few blocks of us.)

      Anyway, the filling is pretty close, the crust isn't quite right. I may try the butter pie crust I normally use but maybe with a bit more sugar in the dough. (The one I used for this test has egg in it and it isn't very flaky.)

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28097
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        Sorry to hear about your injury, but thanks for the update on the book.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28091
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I bought a set of the EVO oil sprayers (the smaller ones) a few years ago, I use one for vegetable oil and the other for water. They've both worked better than any other sprayers I've bought.

          Over the last several years I've gone from using pure canola oil to using corn oil to using a blend of canola and safflower oil.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28083
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I made half of the empanadas today, I'll do the others tomorrow. I had to defrost a big container of apple pie filling and I won't use even half of it, so I'll be making something else with the rest of it, possibly an apple pie with a streusel top, since I've only got one crust in the freezer, although I think my wife would prefer an Irish Apple Cake.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28082
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I think calling it American Buttercream is kind of a cooking insult, in French cooking a lot of things are called 'English' in the same way.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28080
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I've got my empanada dough made and will be rolling them out, filling them with an apple-caramel mix and baking them this evening.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28078
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  They're a lot less work if you have a mold for them, but I'm not sure what else I might be able to use that mold for. Maybe making shortbread sticks? If you covered them with caramel and chocolate, they'd be similar to a Twix.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28071
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I need to see if one of the stores near us still has Nebraska City cherries in the freezer, 3 small containers of them are about right for a pie.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28066
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I've got a sliced ham marinating in Dr. Pepper, I'll bake it for supper.

                      I've got some basil in the Aerogarden that I need to trim a bit and then do something with, I may plan to make some pizza sauce over the weekend and chop some up to add to the sauce. I haven't baked a pizza since our virtual pizza party, though I have done lavash pizza several times.

                      Either later today or tomorrow I plan to make caramel apple empanadas.

                      in reply to: Happy New Year’s Eve #28065
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        As far as I know, there are no official fireworks displays here on New Year's Eve, but we heard some periodically throughout the evening and until well after midnight.

                        Anyway, here's to 2021 being a better year than 2020.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28061
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          Dessert Person is a book I've looked at online, what do you think of it so far?

                          I got the 2021 BBGA calendar this week, it has a pumpkin bread for October that is just beautiful. You can see it in this page advertising the calendar for sale:
                          BBGA 2021 calendar

                          in reply to: Happy New Year’s Eve #28056
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            No plans for tonight, but we seldom do much on New Years Eve anyway. No football games tonight, and not many left this season, either. :sigh:

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28052
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              We have leftover potato-leek soup, vegetable beef soup and chicken noodle soup (the latter two from the freezer), so it'll be a soup supper here, possibly with some salad. (We picked the 3rd set of salads from our Aerogarden last night, so it'll be a few days before it is ready for another harvest, but there's still lettuce in the fridge.)

                              in reply to: Cherry Pie in an Oil Crust? #28034
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I'd probably go with a streusel topping, you might be able to put on a fairly continuous layer of oil crust but it probably won't hold together enough to transfer.

                                I wonder what would happen if you rolled it out, froze it long enough for it to firm up and then tried to transfer it?

                                I didn't do a lattice crust on the last cherry pie I made, at my wife's request. (It was for her birthday.)

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of December 27, 2020? #28030
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  I'd just set them gently on the poured chocolate and push them in with a toothpick. Another possibility would be to put them in the mold and pour the chocolate on top of them. (Might make sense to put them in face down, making the bottom of the mold the top of the bar, which is often the case with molded chocolates.)

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 8,094 total)