Wed. Oct 7th, 2026

BakerAunt

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 8,641 through 8,655 (of 8,781 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Canning Blueberry Pie Filling #3901
    BakerAunt
    Participant

      As I suspected, one of the quart jars did not seal. I think that the flat lid was defective, but I may go ahead and throw away the ring as well. I've put a plastic cap on that jar and moved it to the refrigerator. I'll bake it into a pie. I'll check the seals on the others after they sit for at least 12 hours.

      The most complicated part of the process is that the blueberries must first be prepared by plunging each 4-cups into boiling water, waiting for the water to boil again, boiling 1 minute, then removing and draining. I have the perfect pot for that--back in Texas--so I had to improvise here in Indiana with an old fryer basket left over from my husband's parents. I lined it with an industrial-size coffee filter to keep the blueberries from falling through. Cheesecloth might have been better, as I had to change the filter after the second dunking for the final two. (I have the large coffee filters because of the recommendation from KAF that they are great for blind baking pie crusts--and they certainly are!.) Mine came from a restaurant store.

      • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      in reply to: Canning Blueberry Pie Filling #3893
      BakerAunt
      Participant

        After re-reading last year's thread that I posted from the BC, I decided to use 4 cups of blueberries for each recipe and do a 4-quart recipe. That was both to see how it came out, and also because I have limited sizes of pans here.) This time I got 3 1/2 quarts, which I put into two 1-quart jars and three 2 cup jars. It takes about 6 cups to make a pie.

        They are now cooling on the counter. I think that one of the two quart jars did not seal properly. I'll check tomorrow after they sit overnight.

        in reply to: computer #3892
        BakerAunt
        Participant

          Please tell Rascals that we are thinking of her. I just posted a thread in which she helped me last year with blueberry pie filling.

          in reply to: Recipes uploaded from the BC, by original poster #3884
          BakerAunt
          Participant

            cwcdesign: Once you paste it in, you may need to edit it a bit for spacing. I usually do an edit before I paste, then an edit after it is pasted before I hit submit. In addition to deleting double posts, I also try to fix spelling, since we were without the edit button at KAF for a long time.

            I'm going to wait until Mike has time to run a report before I post any other recipes. As we close in on 2000, I'm getting confused about what was posted and what was not. I thought that I had done janiebakes, but maybe not?

            There are also doubles on some of Annabella's recipes, since I posted them without the pictures before Rottiedogs worked out how to include them. While not all of her recipes had pictures, a lot of them did.

            I am getting close to the end of any threads I saved, but I need to look over what is there and see if I have some additional ones.

            This site is feeling like home, since we were able to bring along some of the "furniture" from the BC. And the new "furniture" and layout are great. Thanks to everyone for the work!

            • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            in reply to: Has Anyone Made Jam in a Bread Machine? #3807
            BakerAunt
            Participant

              Ok! 3- 8 oz. jars and one 4-oz jar are now cooling on the counter. A scant half cup is in the refrigerator. It will be used with David Lee's biscuits tomorrow morning!

              Note: It was still too warm this morning to heat an older oven to 450, so I had the jam on toast. Yum.

              • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
              in reply to: Has Anyone Made Jam in a Bread Machine? #3805
              BakerAunt
              Participant

                I guess no one has tried this. I read about making a strawberry refrigerator jam in a KAF blog. I also read about it at a website that evaluates bread machines. There are mixed opinions as to whether the jam made in a bread machine will be too watery, since with a closed lid, the liquid can't evaporate. I will go ahead and give it a try and see if it can be canned.

                After some additional reading, I've decided not to use the bread machine. While I know that mine does not leak, I read how in older machines, sometimes the liquid can dribble out the bottom where the paddle turns, go down into the motor, and ruin the machine. I'll just make a blackberry-black raspberry jam that does not have many black raspberries in it.

                • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                in reply to: Has Anyone Made Jam in a Bread Machine? #3803
                BakerAunt
                Participant

                  I read the blog at KAF about jam in a bread machine, and I also read about it at the following site:

                  http://www.breadmakerbargains.com/

                  It's a bread machine review site, but it has other features as well. There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the jam gets the set needed to gel, even with pectin, since the water cannot evaporate in the closed machine.

                  I shall give it a try with the black raspberry/blackberry combination and report back.

                  • This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  in reply to: Has Anyone Made Jam in a Bread Machine? #3802
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

                    I read the blog at KAF about jam in a bread machine, and I also read about it at the following site:

                    http://www.breadmakerbargains.com/

                    It's a bread machine review site, but it has other features as well. There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the jam gets the set needed to gel, even with pectin, since the water cannot evaporate in the closed machine.

                    I shall give it a try with the black raspberry/blackberry combination and report back.

                    in reply to: Giant Flour Recall #3764
                    BakerAunt
                    Participant
                      in reply to: Pound Cake: Loaf Pan or Bundt Pan #3763
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

                        I think that you would be fine doubling a loaf and baking it in a bundt pan. It might be a little trickier if you were going the other way and taking a recipe designed for a bundt pan and using it as a loaf cake. I seem to recall Cass telling us that Bundt cakes can break some rule because they have the additional inside pan area and that helps with structure. Maybe he will see this post and chime in.

                        in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of July 17, 2016? #3701
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

                          Luvpyrpom--did you cut circles of parchment and plop in the muffins? I'm intrigued.

                          in reply to: Sweet Roll Experiment #3655
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

                            These sweet rolls are wonderful. The original recipe used fresh blueberries pressed into the dough, and it can be a struggle keeping them all in--along with the spice-sugar filling. While the pie filling was a bit messy--and I worried about it soaking the dough--it was actually less messy than the other method. I did crowd the 20 rolls into a 13x9 inch pan, so that may have also kept the contents together. The blueberry pie filling did not leak through the sides.

                            I also altered the dough recipe by using buttermilk for a cup of the water and substituting in 2 Tbs. of honey for 2 Tbs. of the 1/4 cup of sugar. I also added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I want to see if the honey and buttermilk will keep the rolls softer longer.

                            My husband had two, after his oatmeal this morning. He is off to the woods to work. I had three, so the dog and I did a one hour walk before the heat and humidity set in, and I'll be eating a light lunch.

                            in reply to: Semi-flopped Cake Question #3646
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

                              I put my baking soda in Tupperware. I do label it with the expiration date. I've not had any problems.

                              in reply to: Sweet Roll Experiment #3628
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

                                Mike--if I had read your answer before I started the dough, I would have followed your suggestion. I did use a sweet roll dough that is not overly sweet and has some whole wheat flour, and the pie filling is one that I made, and so is not too sweet. I'll report on how it comes out.

                                in reply to: Semi-flopped Cake Question #3616
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

                                  Italian Cook: You might also check to see how old your baking soda is.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 8,641 through 8,655 (of 8,781 total)