Has Anyone Made Jam in a Bread Machine?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Has Anyone Made Jam in a Bread Machine?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband found some black raspberries--maybe about 1 cup. My bread machine has a recipe for strawberry jam that calls for 2 cups of fruit. I'm thinking that I can combine the black raspberries with some blackberries for a very small amount of jam in this flavor. (I have the Ball FreshTec jam maker--which I will use for the rest of the blackberries--but it does four cups, and I don't have enough black raspberries for it.)

The strawberry jam recipe (the only jam recipe in the book) uses 2 cups strawberries, 2 3/4 cups sugar, 1.75 oz. pectin, and 2 Tbs. lemon juice. Do you think that the black raspberries, along with the blackberries, will work well in place of the strawberries?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I read the blog at KAF about jam in a bread machine, and I also read about it at the following site:

It's a bread machine review site, but it has other features as well. There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the jam gets the set needed to gel, even with pectin, since the water cannot evaporate in the closed machine.

I shall give it a try with the black raspberry/blackberry combination and report back.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I read the blog at KAF about jam in a bread machine, and I also read about it at the following site:

It's a bread machine review site, but it has other features as well. There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the jam gets the set needed to gel, even with pectin, since the water cannot evaporate in the closed machine.

I shall give it a try with the black raspberry/blackberry combination and report back.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

I guess no one has tried this. I read about making a strawberry refrigerator jam in a KAF blog. I also read about it at a website that evaluates bread machines. There are mixed opinions as to whether the jam made in a bread machine will be too watery, since with a closed lid, the liquid can't evaporate. I will go ahead and give it a try and see if it can be canned.

After some additional reading, I've decided not to use the bread machine. While I know that mine does not leak, I read how in older machines, sometimes the liquid can dribble out the bottom where the paddle turns, go down into the motor, and ruin the machine. I'll just make a blackberry-black raspberry jam that does not have many black raspberries in it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Ok! 3- 8 oz. jars and one 4-oz jar are now cooling on the counter. A scant half cup is in the refrigerator. It will be used with David Lee's biscuits tomorrow morning!

Note: It was still too warm this morning to heat an older oven to 450, so I had the jam on toast. Yum.

Italiancook
              Participant

Congratulations on accomplishing your task, BakerAunt. I imagine the jam tastes fabulous. Thanks for letting us share in your culinary adventure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.