What are you Cooking the Week of September 19, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 19, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had fried pork chops,mac-n-cheese and leftover zipper peas.

cwcdesign
      Participant

BA and Mike - thanks for the suggestions - I’ll share them with him. I don’t think he sifted and I know I didn’t mention it to him

BakerAunt
        Participant

I used leftover pork on Tuesday to make a bulgur and vegetable stir-fry. I used celery, carrots, a red bell pepper from our garden, sliced mushrooms, two small yellow and one larger green zucchini. I also used the liquid from deglazing the skillet yesterday.

skeptic7
          Participant

I tried baking chicken legs based on this recipe. Its rather bland for all the spices included in it. This might be because there isn't that much coating sticking to the chicken legs. I used cornmeal not polenta and chicken legs not thighs.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2015/10/21/cornmeal-crusted-chicken-thighs-with-jamaican-spice

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm surprised, Skeptic, that the recipe does not call for milk or egg before dredging. I have decided from now on to do a dusting of flour, beaten egg, and then the crumbs. It sticks beautifully.

Wednesday is the first day of autumn, and it has been cool and rainy, very much the kind of day I associate with fall. For dinner, I made a large pot of pea soup with ham (also carrots, celery, and dehydrated onion), seasoned near the end with thyme and marjoram. I also made yogurt today.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Lucky you, BA - down here it was so hot and humid it felt like July. The rain didn’t even help. Good thing we had leftover salad fixings.

chocomouse
                Participant

I'm back from my last vacation in Maine for this summer -- and eager to get into the kitchen! Tonight we had grilled chicken breasts, potato roasted on the grill, and steamed summer squash and zucchini. My husband picked 3 huge baskets of tomatoes, mostly Romas, so I'll be making sauce for most of the day tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had extra sharp cheddar cheese, Honeycrisp apples and Genoa salami for supper tonight, they paired very well together.

Tonight I need to do a third batch of tomato juice, I picked 3 big bowls of tomatoes today. Might still be another good picking left depending on the weather.

The heat has broken here, it was 44 this morning and probably didn't get above 72 today. Most of the hummingbirds have headed south, only saw one or two all day.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had Sloppy Joe meat on top of mashed potatoes with cooked carrots on the side.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made mac & cheese from the Jenny Can Cook site. The recipe calls for shredded cheddar, I used half mac & cheese blend from Kraft and half Valetta. It's easy enough, doesn't use any butter and it came out ok. I had it with a bbq pork sandwich.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

We had torrential rains last night and a "cold" front came through - it was 66º when I went for my walk this morning - will go up into the low 70s today. We get to enjoy it for a few days until the heat comes back.

We have quite a few hummingbirds right now - we did put up an additional feeder with 4 stations and a perch for each. They've figured the perch out and are able to rest between sips - someone still goes to the other one that we moved to a tree branch.

And, still mostly females.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I canned 10 quarts of tomato juice last night, most of the tomatoes that I picked yesterday were big ones like Amish Paste and Italian Heirloom and they produce a lot of pulp and juice.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

That's a lot of tomato juice, Mike.

I used tomatoes from our garden on Thursday to make a container of sauce to freeze or use in the next couple of days. I will not have as much to freeze this year, but I expect to have another couple of containers.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Yeah, I was up past 2AM processing them all, since I can only process 7 quarts at a time in my 24 quart pot. All 10 jars sealed, so I'm happy. I've done 22 quarts of tomato juice so far this season, which seems like a lot but my mother often did 50. (We drank it all winter.) We've already finished off 5 quarts and are working on the 6th.

And we've got our big fridge and freezer back in operation, though the freezer is still working on getting cold. And the dishwasher is currently running a load of mostly pots and pans. Now I just need to get a new garbage disposal installed on the cleanup sink. (It is on order, should be here early next week, then I need to get a plumber to put it in.)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had char grilled chicken that I marinated in Italian dressing,baked sweet potato and green butter beans.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.