What are You Cooking the Week of September 1, 2019

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 1, 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Tonight we had hamburger steaks smothered in onions and mashed potatoes.

chocomouse
      Participant

Dinner tonight was steak tips on the grill, zucchini and summer squash, tomatoes with sliced onions in Greek dressing, and corn on the cob.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Wednesday night’s dinner was stir-fry, using the leftover rotisserie chicken, along with a red bell pepper and snow peas from our garden, as well as celery, carrots, green onion, and broccoli. As usual, we used soba noodles.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I had matzo ball soup and left over pork.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I had salad, chicken veg soup and a hamburger.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had salad with tuna fish last night.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had fried chicken breast which we split,macaroni and tomatoes and seasoned green beans.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a pork roast on the bbq this afternoon.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For Friday’s dinner, I made a red cabbage slaw/salad, using Deb Perelman’s Buttermilk salad dressing recipe that I used a couple of weeks ago. The small red cabbage came from the farmers market. I think that dressing needs something. I made a half recipe and increased the sugar by ½ tsp., and I added ¼ tsp. celery seed and some pepper, but it seems slightly bland.

I also made applesauce, using some “seconds” from the farmers market. It was a different variety from what I used when I made some a few weeks ago, but they too made good applesauce. I’ll try to get some more seconds tomorrow. I also made that roasted fingerling potatoes recipe again.

My husband cooked boneless pork ribs (nothing fancy, just dry in the nonstick pan) to accompany the meal. We were both noting how much easier it is now for the two of us to work in the redesigned kitchen.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Glad to hear your kitchen redesign is proving functional, after all the time and expense.

Tonight Diane had a steak salad and I had a tomato and salami sandwich.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday, I’m making poultry stock, using the frozen remains of a turkey breast and the remains of the rotisserie chicken we had this week. Possibly some soup may be on the menu soon. It's a cool, almost windless day, which was not good news for the regatta being held on the lake. The sailboats were literally just sitting there. The race was called off, and the sailboats had to pull in their sales and be towed back.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I am making Hot Pepper Relish, using red bell peppers, jalepenoes, and onions. It's a recipe I created to "copy-cat" the Farmhouse Red relish that Stonewall Kitchen makes. I'm also making a pasta dish for dinner: bowties, with marinara, hot Italian sausage slices, peppers and onions.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My wife is making grape jelly today/tomorrow. She's cooked and juiced the grapes, she'll make the jelly tomorrow. (The Farm Journal cookbook recommends letting the juice sit overnight, the jelly is less likely to grow sugar crystals, not sure why.)

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

No cooking here tonight it's fend for yourself,husband made him a turkey sandwich with pork-n-beans I had turkey sandwich with chex mix.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.