What are you cooking the week of November 17, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of November 17, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Do you make your flour tortillas or buy them? My wife has been wondering if flour tortillas made with semolina flour would have a lower glycemic index, like semolina pasta does.

navlys
      Participant

We had reheated beef stifado which I made in the crockpot. When people say it's better the next day I now believe them. The problem is waiting another day to eat something that took you so long to prepare and which smells so good!

chocomouse
        Participant

Dinner Wednesday night was brats with peppers and onions, wrapped in a whole wheat sandwich thin sliced horizontally, with spicy hot mustard.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Mike I buy Mission Flour Tortilla's.I've never tried to make them but they seem easy to make.My husband doesn't care for them so buying them they keep a really long time refrigerated.I like a sandwiches on them too.

Tonight I'm pan frying cubed pork,leftover green butter beans and making fresh potato salad.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I used to make tortillas, but I never could get them as thin as the ones in the store. If you are interested, Mike, I'll look for the recipe, which probably came out of the L.A. Times food section many years ago.

For dinner on Thursday, I made my Spaghetti Squash-Turkey Casserole, a recipe that I adapted last year from the internet. It’s rather like a lasagna, only with spaghetti squash instead of noodles, and the cheese just on top.

chocomouse
              Participant

That sounds really good, BakerAunt. And it gives me an idea to make my vegetarian white lasagna in spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I've been craving that white sauce lasagna for a couple of months now.

Our dinner tonight was from the freezer: chicken-broccoli braid, with broccoli soup for me and baked beans for husband.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I was looking at some tortilla presses online, the reviews on them weren't encouraging, some didn't get them very thin, others have multiple reports of the handle breaking. For initial testing, I might just roll them out by hand.

As far as I can tell, none of the tortilla brands available here, including those made locally, use semolina, probably because of the higher cost.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I always rolled my tortilla by hand. I've made some flat breads as well from KAF recipes. I found that the little rolling pin that came with a ravioli pan I bought is perfect for rolling out the small circles for tortillas and flatbreads. Note: I've yet to use the ravioli pan that came with it!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added clarification
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

Tonight I had a store rotisserie chicken, I made mashed sweet potato, broccoli and purple cauliflower with it.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Mike, maybe try a rolling pin with the rings so you get consistent thickness. I've been using this Fondant Roller for my pizza crusts. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've never had much luck with those rings, and I don't think they make them thinner than 1/8 inch anyway.

Italiancook
                          Participant

I'm headed to the kitchen to make Escarole Rice Soup from the Romagnolis Italian cookbook. I also have some broccoli I need to cook. I think I'll make a Cheddar cheese sauce to go with it -- oops, can't do that, I don't have any cream. Plain broccoli suits me, too.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

You can make a pretty good cheddar cheese sauce by starting with a Béchamel (roux and milk) and adding the cheese to that, making it a variant on Mornay sauce.

Since I almost never make my own whipped cream or butter, about the only things I use cream for are Veal Zurich (a white wine cream sauce) and for Alfredo sauce. The original Alfredo sauce was mace just with parmesan reggiano, but you have to melt it very slowly so that it doesn't curdle, cream speeds the process up a lot (and cream is far less expensive, too), so that's why restaurants do it that way. Why they add garlic is a mystery to me, it isn't needed and it isn't correct, either. (And IMHO it ruins the taste, Alfredo sauce should taste like a rich cheese and NOTHING ELSE!)

Italiancook
                              Participant

Thanks for the roux/milk suggestion, Mike. I hadn't thought of that. Broccoli went on hold until tomorrow. Took me longer to make the Endive Rice Soup than I expected.

Italiancook
                                Participant

Len, re: the Fondant Roller you mentioned on the 21st: I checked it out and am confused. What do the rings do for you when you're rolling? Do you remove all but only the width ring you want? How do the rings tell you when your crust is the thickness you want? Seems to me they'd make an indentation in the dough. I read the Q&As & some reviews and couldn't get a sense of how the rings help.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.