What are you cooking the week of November 17, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of November 17, 2019?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Italian Cook--It's like this one from Joseph Joseph:

https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-us/adjustable-rolling-pin

I have one of these, which was my main rolling pin when our now home was our vacation home, and I had liked it for rolling out cookie dough. It is a bit tricky with a pie crust because you must be careful not to roll the rings onto the dough, but it can be done. I would certainly take it with me if I needed a rolling pin when traveling.

When I first bought the rolling pin, they only had three sizes of rings (in metric measurement, as they are a Canadian company), but then added the size that would be useful for dough. I wrote to the company and asked if I could buy the new ring size for my rolling pin. The wonderful marketing person sent me the new ring size for free. That is great customer service.

These days, I mostly use my "wands"--strips of wood in the proper size and roll the dough out to the proper thickness, which was 1/16th inch for the crackers I baked today. The wands are certainly more versatile, as long as you have a longer pin, Mine is a long cylinder--no tapering.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had vegetable beef soup from the freezer for supper tonight.

I've got some metal and wood bars I use for setting thickness, too, but I don't think I've got a set that's 1/16" thick, that's only slightly thicker than a dime.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

ItalianCook, you remove the rings except for the thickness that you want. You know the thickness is right when you're rolling and it no longer stretches out the dough. The roller is long enough that you can set the rings far enough apart that the rings don't touch the dough. The rings that come with that roller are thickness of 3/16, 2/16 (1/8) and 1/16. I find it very helpful for obtaining uniform thickness over the entire rolled out dough (one edge is not thicker than the opposite side). I've been using it for pizza dough and pie dough. I can make a fairly thin pizza crust with it. And it's long enough to use it for cinnamon rolls.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by RiversideLen.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

Last night we had leftover spaghetti and garlic toast.

Italiancook
            Participant

Len & BakerAunt, thanks for all the info on the rings and how to use them. I'm no longer in the dark. I'm sure I'll end up buying one of them. Just don't know which one yet. I like the idea, Len, that it's long enough for cinnamon rolls.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Chick fil a tonight,I had cob chicken salad husband had grilled chicken tenders and macaroni and cheese.OK nothing special.

BakerAunt
                Participant

The place where I bought my lovely wooden pastry wands appears to be out of business. I went to pastrywands.com and it said "shop closed. I bought them around 2014, and I recall that it was a family company. If you google pastry wands, you can see pictures of the wooden ones I bought. I have four thicknesses: 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4. I think that for a while KAF was selling its own with an imprint. There are also plastic ones available from Rose LB of baking book fame. In 2014, I found the reference to the company that made my wooden ones on her blog, and that was how I came to buy them. You can just find wood strips that are the thicknesses you use most often.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

RLB has silicone pastry wands, a set of 3 thicknesses (1/16, 1/8, 3/16), 18 inches deep, for $9.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond website.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner here was tomato soup and egg salad sandwiches on fresh whole wheat bread.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.