What are you cooking the week of November 17, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of November 17, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for this week's cooking logs.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Made pizza for supper only top of stove cooking was the sausage for pizza.It was so good and I'm full!

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made a “grain bowl” for dinner, consisting of farro cooked in homemade chicken broth, onion, roasted delicata squash; leftover rotisserie chicken, peas, and sage. The combination is delicious.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had chicken thighs with Penzey's Greek seasoning, and roasted brussels sprouts and squash.

Italiancook
            Participant

BakerAunt, you had said you might try the Brussels Sprouts Soup I mentioned a while ago. I want you to know I'm backing away from this recipe. I froze what I made and thawed it out recently. I had to toss it out. The Brussels sprouts were so strong in the soup that I didn't like it. I always thought flavors became weaker in the freezer, but in this case, it became stronger. I think it means I overcooked the b. sprouts before blending the liquid with the immersion blender. I know from making broccoli soup and carrot soup that it's best to cook until al dente and then blend or the flavor will be too strong.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Like many members of the Brassica family, Brussels sprouts get extremely bitter if overcooked, I've never thought they froze well at all, which is kind of odd because they're better if not harvested until after a frost.

They're tricky to reheat, too. I roast them rather than boil them, that keeps them from getting quite as bitter, even reheated.

I've tried some frozen Brussels sprouts with cheese sauce, they weren't worth the price.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thank you for the follow-up, Italian Cook. Sharing of information is one of the great advantages of this site.

Also, thank you to Mike for the explanation not just about brussels sprouts but about broccoli. It took some effort to get my husband to stop overcooking broccoli.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had pan fried chicken breast,rice and leftover black eyed peas.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Made some fresh chicken salad which we had with green salad with chopped eggs,cheese,tomatoes and beets on the side with crackers.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For Tuesday's dinner, we are having Panko-Parmesan coated roasted chicken breast halves (which we will likely halve) with more of the leftover quinoa salad.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I wanted something familiar and something different so I made an unusual pizza. I diced and oven browned some potato. Then I browned some ground beef and diced carrot with some Mexican Chorizo seasoning and tomato paste and enough water for the consistency I wanted. I lined a cast iron pan with pizza crust, put a little cheese on it and baked it for 10 minutes (425 degrees). Then I put in the diced potato and beef mixture. Topped it with cheese and returned it to the oven until it was done.

I don't know if I should call it a pizza or a meat and potato pie. It was good.

Italiancook
                          Participant

I prepared Deviled Ribs from Cook-Ahead Cookery for tomorrow dinner. I'll serve it with oven-roasted potatoes. I haven't decided what else.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had left over pizza.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

For Wednesday dinner, I cooked some bulgur in chicken broth, and we had it with the other half chicken breast and microwaved broccoli.

I also made broth from the bones left from the rotisserie chicken we had last week.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had taco salad I rolled mine in a flour tortilla like a burrito.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.