What are You Cooking the Week of May 5, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 5, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Dinner on Friday night was salmon and couscous with Penzey’s Greek seasoning. We microwaved frozen peas for a side. I needed a quick and easy dinner, since we spent the day in South Bend, picking up more materials for the house.

I’m hoping that the Farmers’ Market tomorrow might have some kind of vegetables, but it is still early for much.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Lettuce, spinach, spring onions and asparagus are what's mostly available here. Rhubarb is starting to show up, kohlrabi and bok choy should be available soon. Haven't seen pea pods or green beans yet, probably a few more weeks for them.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had tuna melts for supper. The last time I made rye bread I sliced it all up to send it to a pot luck and froze what came back, that turns out to be very convenient for things like this, I'll probably do that again. Might even give me an excuse to make rye bread a little more often.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had breakfast for supper...sausage patties,grits,eggs and sourdough toast.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I came home with some small turnips and some asparagus. The turnips can be eaten raw like carrots, according to the vendor, as the small ones can be sweet. I seem to recall eating raw ones with one of my grandmothers. I'm going to try some of the tops in a bean soup tomorrow.

I've not cooked asparagus before, so I'm looking at recipes.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Traditionally, asparagus is steamed. I don't make asparagus very often, because my wife hates the smell and doesn't like Hollandaise, either, but when I do make it I just do it in the microwave these days. Don't overcook it.

Hollandaise is surprisingly good on strawberries.

Italiancook
                Participant

BakerAunt, the Neely's have an excellent Asparagus Soup recipe on Food Network's site. It calls for a small amount of cream, but I have successfully used half-n-half, or milk, when I didn't have cream. It's a broth-based soup.

Ina Garten has a recipe for baked asparagus on Food Network that was my son's favorite. It includes Parmesan.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We're having lavash pizza again tonight, that uses up the last of this set of 3 lavash.

Italiancook
                    Participant

BakerAunt, I was multi-tasking when I wrote my previous post and couldn't provide links for you. Now, I'm giving you and others links to the recipes.

Asparagus Soup: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/asparagus-soup-recipe-2041457

Parmesan Roasted Asparagus: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-asparagus-recipe-1914058

Ina Garten's Roasted Asparagus: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-asparagus-recipe-1916355

skeptic7
                      Participant

I stir fry asparagus. Break it up into 2-3 inch pieces and stir fry with a little oil. Well with me its more of a braise. I add a little garlic or ginger for flavor. Heat oil until hot, add asparagus, stir around a bit and then add some water and cover the pan. Stir occasionally but mainly let it cook till its at the texture you want. The first frying in hot oil acts sort of the same way blanching does and improves the flavor and color in a way that boiling won't.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I cooked some boneless pork ribs in crock pot with BBQ sauce,made some fresh coleslaw and baked beans.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

My wife is making a batch of pastry cream this evening that will go in a trifle for tomorrow's supper. She's using her mother's recipe since tomorrow is Mother's Day. (Recently we've been using the KAF recipe, although I've been known to make a classic creme patisserie recipe too.)

BakerAunt
                            Participant

For dinner on Saturday, I made Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Swiss Chard, a favorite recipe from America Test Kitchen. My change is to put in a lot more butternut squash. This substantial dish will provide us with leftovers for several meals.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.