What are You Cooking the Week of March 5, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 5, 2017?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

March has arrived. For Sunday dinner, I'll be making my lightened up version of my Mom's hamburger stroganoff (complete with Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup) that I serve over brown rice. It was a respectable dinner for company back in the 1960s. For me, it is comfort food, as well as a fast dinner.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I made fresh brown rice for Pork Chop Suey from the freezer.

I also made a dip I saw on Food Network's, The Kitchen. 1/4 cup Pesto mixed into 1 cup Greek yogurt. I'm not certain I like it, but I think it may be the brand of store-bought pesto I used. Do any of you have a favorite brand of store pesto?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

They had lovely (and BIG) red peppers at the store the other day at 3/$1.00, so I made some stuffed peppers tonight. I blanched the peppers after hollowing them out and filled them with a mixture of browned ground beef, some oatmeal and a bit of barbecue sauce and sprinkled cheese on top. 35 minutes at 350 covered, then another 15 minutes uncovered.

Italiancook
          Participant

I just put a pan of Vegetable Lasagna in the fridge. Thanks, BakerAunt & KIDPIZZA, for your tips on doing this. Both helped. I'm gong to refrigerate the lasagna for a few hours before I cut it and freeze it in serving pieces. Originally, I planned to cut it after it had rested and flash freeze the pieces. While it was baking, I realized that idea is bad, because my freezer would smell like garlic. My new thought is to slice it, wrap each piece in foil, then flash freeze the pieces before putting them in freezer bags.

chocomouse
            Participant

Nothing exciting for cooking here. I've been using up leftover soups and casseroles, plus working on the stash of frozen veggies from last summer's garden. We did have a nice "breakfast for supper" meal of bacon, blueberry pancakes, and fresh still-warm-from-the-evaporator maple syrup.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Tuesday, I used Bob's Red Mill Vegi-Soup bean and barley blend in a turkey-vegetable soup. This time I used Penzey's Bouquet Garni as the seasoning. I added some tomato paste, and a few dashes of fish sauce. I also made a small batch of applesauce and froze it. (We will have it at Easter.)

Italiancook
                Participant

I had leftover brown rice. I Googled to find out how to make rice pudding from leftover rice. This morning, I used the recipe below to make rice pudding for breakfast. I have more half 'n half than milk, so I used half 'n half instead of milk. The recipe doesn't call for an egg, but I began to think that for breakfast it should have protein. I had 1-3/8 cups rice and liquid, so I added one beaten and tempered egg. That made the pudding quite creamy. I don't like the texture and will not use an egg in the future.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes-menus/leftover-cooked-rice-pudding-recipe-article

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I got a couple of beautiful red peppers so I decided to stuff them. I have not had stuffed peppers in a while. The peppers are large so I sliced them lengthwise to make 4 peppers. Unlike what most people seem to do, I make a meatball/meatloaf mixture and stuff the raw peppers with the raw meat and then roast them. Sometimes I use breadcrumbs in the meat and sometimes cooked rice, but regardless the pepper is treated the same way either way.

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    cwcdesign
                    Participant

Last week I made another batch of cauliflower bread sticks (or pizza crust - same thing). This time it was too dry. I have some ideas for fixing it - will keep trying. I also made a crockpot lo Menn that was quite good, but the leftovers didn't hold up, so next time we'll keep the noodles separate and serve the lo mein mixture over them.

And an avocado chicken salad with no mayo to use as a filling for tortilla roll ups. I worked both in the roll ups and as a salad alone

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by cwcdesign.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.