What are you Cooking the Week of March 14, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of March 14, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes in the pressure cooker later today.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Tuesday.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We took our first hike in a state park in over a year late Wednesday morning We did not even have the chance last year to use our Golden Hoosier Park Pass (at least the money supported the state parks!), but ever the optimists, we bought one for 2021. We arrived home for a late lunch, and I made a frittata for myself using chopped onion and carrot sauteed in olive oil, then mixed with about 1/3 cup leftover cooked bulgur, a beaten egg, about 2 Tbs. shredded mozzarella cheese, and ½ tsp. Penzey’s Bavarian seasoning. I used my good nonstick small frying pan, and I was able to flip the frittata with a spatula in the pan.

Italiancook
          Participant

I made a double batch of The Neely's Asparagus Soup (Food Network) Even a double batch doesn't make much. I put 2 quarts in the freezer & have 2 cups in the refrig.

kimbob
            Participant

What a pita making this corned beef in the pressure cooker! I had an old pressure cooker with the rocker on top. When the seal went kaput, I bought an electric pressure cooker last year that I used once. Put the corned beef in and it was taking forever to get up the steam. Then I saw water on the counter so I knew the seal was messed up. Changed the seal and now it's working. Been messing with this for 1.5 hours. Ugh hopefully it'll come out ok.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made cabbage and canned corn beef with macaroni and cheese with corn bread,it was delicious to me,asked my husband what he thought he said "well lets not have it again till St.Patrick's Day next year" lol.

kimbob
                Participant

The corned beef came out great after all that aggravation. I may just use the crockpot next year. Made oven roasted potatoes and carrots. Put the cabbage in the pressure cooker for about 15 mins. Mom and hubby said it was really good. I'm over st patty's day! Lol

chocomouse
                  Participant

We had chicken fajitas to celebrate St Paddy's Day.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Was the corned beef and cabbage in the macaroni and cheese, or just a separate course?

I can't really say I'm all that fond of corned beef and cabbage myself, but that's largely because the only corned beef you can get is so fatty.

I like cabbage in soups, but my wife doesn't really like cooked cabbage. She'll eat sauerkraut, but doesn't really care for cole slaw, either. Sometimes I'll just eat a wedge of cabbage with some salt, but that's a way to get way too much sodium in your diet, not that sauerkraut is especially low sodium.

I'm going to be starting a batch of sauerkraut in the next few days, though.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Wednesday, I cooked my husband’s requested birthday dinner: maple-glazed pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and microwaved fresh broccoli. I used nonfat Greek yogurt in the mashed potatoes rather than butter, and that also let me cut down on the salt.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I used the last of my corned beef to make corned beef hash. I had it with green beans and carrots.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Mike the macaroni and cheese was a separate side.

When I worked at Shoney's years ago we had a cabbage beef soup that I loved.It had ground beef,onions ,tomatoes,kidney beans,cabbage and lots of seasonings.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We've added a lot of things to macaroni and cheese over the years, including meats and veggies.

We used to add a package of frozen chopped broccoli, it was pretty good. Tuna fish, on the other hand, was not great. The old rule about not mixing fish and cheese exists for a reason.

I still like making it with a can of mushroom soup and some ground beef, it is a good way to use up left over ground beef from when we make tacos.

I haven't been to a Shoney's in a long time, but I've had their cabbage soup, it was pretty good, though I've had better.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Mike, I'd never heard of the rule about not mixing fish and cheese. But thinking about it, the only example I can come up with is a tuna melt. I had one of those, years ago, and have never had another, nor will I! Maybe smoked salmon with Brie? Hmmm.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Cheese, especially a strong cheese like a sharp cheddar, tends to overpower the delicate nature of fish. There are exceptions to the "don't mix fish with cheese" rule, the tuna melt is one of them. I think the tomato acts as a buffer between the tuna salad and the cheese, though.

Shellfish doesn't count as fish, which is why something like a crab alfredo or lobster mac and cheese is OK. (I'm sure there are shrimp and cheese dishes, but I don't eat shrimp.)

We had reubens tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.