What are you cooking the week of July 7, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of July 7, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today is the first day I've not felt dizzy in about 3 weeks, so the inner ear part of the cold seems to have finally passed. I was planning to make potato salad on the 4th but didn't, maybe I'll make it today.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Speaking of the Fourth, I want to ask a question. I went to the grocery store around 11:30 A.M. today (Sunday). At the front of the store, an employee was putting party-sized packages of cookies and cupcakes on display. The cupcakes were decorated for the 4th. Do people wait until Saturday or Sunday to celebrate the 4th with parties? I couldn't imagine this when I looked at the display. Everyone I know has their party on the 4th, even if it's during the work week. Of course, there are people who have to work on Independence Day, so now that I think about it, I guess they'd be the weekend celebrators.

Italiancook
        Participant

For dinner, I'm gong to make Trisha Yearwood's (Food Network) Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. I'm leaving out the lemon juice and probably adding a dried herb or two to compensate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Italiancook.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The city of Lincoln held its annual fireworks display on the 3rd and fireworks were only legal to shoot off on the 3rd and the 4th this year, but I often see stores putting holiday-decorated items at the front of the store after a holiday to help get rid of them.

Italiancook
            Participant

Follow-up on Trisha Yearwood's Lemon Orzo Soup. Her recipe doesn't specify to use cooked chicken, and I don't recall her stating cooked chicken on the show when she made this. So I used raw chicken cut into 1/4" dice (butcher cut it). I ended up with scum in the soup, such as one would have when making chicken broth with fresh chicken. Only worse. So much it was impossible to skim it all off.

I just discovered Food Network Kitchen also has a recipe for this type of soup. They specify cooked chicken. And that's my advice if you want to make this soup.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Glad you're feeling better Mike.

Today I cooked breakfast for supper,grits,eggs,sausage and biscuits.

navlys
                Participant

I found a recipe in our local supermarket magazine for shrimp skewered around sausage pieces and grilled with a sweet chile sauce glaze. Will let you know how it comes out.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Yesterday I put country style ribs on the BBQ grill. I'll have enough for the next 2 or 3 days.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Sunday my husband cooked boneless pork slices, and I boiled new potatoes from the farmers market, then drizzled them with olive oil. We had microwaved frozen peas on the side.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I hard boiled some eggs and my wife had 2 of them for supper, I used one to make some tuna fish salad.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had taco salad.

navlys
                          Participant

The shrimp and cooked sausage skewers were delightful . A splash of lime juice over the skewers would have been the cherry on the sundae but alas I forgot it. Subsequently I found several recipes online for shrimp and sausage skewers. I think the shrimp and sausage make a nice combo.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Our area has had high heat and humidity for two weeks now, with just one little break. We also spent a lot of the day arranging furniture in the now finished guest bedroom. Accordingly, dinner tonight was a rotisserie chicken and a salad, featuring Romaine lettuce, tomato, and green onion from the farmers market, joined by store-bought carrots and Baby Bella mushrooms.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had cubed pork,candied sweet potatoes and green beans.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Today I made cold plates with tuna salad,beets,tomatoes and macaroni salad.

I went yesterday and picked figs from my cousin's so fig jam was made today.I got 6 half pints and 2 pints.I still have a large batch to do tomorrow.Very happy to hear those lids seal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.