What are you cooking the week of July 7, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of July 7, 2019?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Today I started out by cooking another batch of figs which I added a box of strawberry jello after they had cooked then cooked for 5-8 minutes more, my recipe calls for 2 boxes but I had only one so I went with that,they turned out great.

Cooked spaghetti and meat sauce for supper with garlic toast which I let burn to high heaven,easy fix though cause it was only bread with butter and light garlic salt under the broiler.

Got my last batch of figs on this time I'm trying something new,I'm using a box of raspberry jello so we'll see how that does. I got 7 half pint jars this morning and will probably get about the same tonight.I think this is all the figs I'm doing unless I change my mind.I'll be giving a lot of this away to friends and family.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I made spaghetti sauce this afternoon using beef cut for stew. I'm going to have spaghetti and a nice cool, crisp big salad. The salad has leaf lettuce, 2 grated carrots, cucumber (seeded) and tomato. Still have to settle for store bought tomatoes, my plants are doing well but they're not ready yet.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

The batch of figs I coked last night I added in a large box of raspberry jello and the are sooo good!Color and taste very good,I'm thinking to add a little to top of cheese cake.I got 3 pint jars and 3 half pints.

Tonight we had BBQ chicken in the pot with BBQ gravy over rice and creamed corn.

navlys
          Participant

I seem to have good luck with Chicago Tribune recipes. Last night I made the grilled pork tenderloin with hoisin-mint sauce. The recipe was serendipitous because I have hoisin sauce to use up and a bunch of mint in a pot on my deck. I didn't butterfly the pork but just sliced it lengthwise. I threw onion slices in a pan and sauteed with some peas and Penzey's stardust( which turned out to be a pleasant surprise). We are getting ready to move and I have to clean out my pantry and freezer of course so I will be playing "Chopped" in my kitchen once again.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Ah, Navlys--I remember my own pre-move strategies to use up ingredients before our move two years ago!

For dinner on Friday, we had stir-fry. My stepdaughter is visiting, and she is now following more of a vegetarian diet, so I did the vegetables first—green onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, snow peas (including the first three from our garden!), mixed in a bit of soy sauce, then mixed in the cooked soba noodles. I had her take our her serving, then I mixed the remainder with the chopped, leftover pork and the de-glazed drippings I saved from the pan. It worked out well.

chocomouse
              Participant

And I remember cleaning out for our move from Chicago to Vermont thirty years ago, especially emptying the freezer. Every night we ate salmon (that we had caught in Lake Michigan) or pheasant or antelope that my husband got on a hunting trip to Iowa and Colorado. We so badly wanted hamburg or a piece of chicken!! But like both of you, we ate a lot of weird, creative meals. I love the reference to "Chopped"!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

No real cooking here tonight,husband had tuna salad sandwich and pork-n-beans and I had a chili dog.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had BLT's tonight.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For Saturday’s dinner, I made a quinoa salad, using a recipe from Bob’s Red Mill. I omitted the cilantro. It came out well, but as I made a large recipe, it could use a little more feta. It makes a great vegetarian entrée, or it can also be a side dish.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.