What are you Cooking the Week of January 17, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 17, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I think we're having leftover pizza tonight, and probably some salad from the Aerogarden.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had taco salad.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We had a lightly snowy day, with temperatures just above freezing, the kind of day when it is cozy to be inside. I made a large pot of soup for Sunday dinner and beyond. I used Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup Mix (a combination of brown and red lentils, split green peas, and bits of barley). I always start by sauteing the carrots and celery in olive oil. I brown a package of ground turkey, then add sliced mushrooms, followed by a bit o chopped garlic. Then the carrots and celery go back in. This time I added 8 cups broth and 2 cups of the lentil mixture. I rehydrated 1 Tbs. dried onion, added chopped parsley, and 1 Tbs. Penzey’s Ozark seasoning. I had leftover cooked freekeh from the other night, so I added it as well, brought the soup to a boil, then simmered for an hour. I had discovered this past year, that my husband likes and does fine with that Ozark seasoning, which previously, I could not figure out how to use. However, I also really liked what the freekeh added to the soup’s flavor profile. I’m making a note to use it again..

chocomouse
          Participant

Tonight I made quesadillas: ham, thin sliced onion and orange sweet pepper, pineapple bits, salsa, and cheddar cheese. They were excellent.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by chocomouse.
            cwcdesign
            Participant

Will made Ina’s tomato soup and roasted som red peppers. He made turkey, Brie,spinach, roasted red peppers with Dijon on my focaccia that he took from the freezer.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I hope your recovery is progressing, CWCdesign.

Has Will always been such an adventurous chef/baker, or is this a development over the past months?

cwcdesign
                Participant

He’s always been an adventurous cook, but the baking is new

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had pan fried cubed pork, green butter beans and a baked sweet potato.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Mexican casserole and bread -n-butter.

chocomouse
                      Participant

We had boneless chicken thighs with Greek seasoning, broccoli salad, and smashed potatoes.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had hamburger steaks,fries and lettuce and tomato salad stirred up with mayonnaise.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

navlys
                            Participant

Roast beef sandwiches with horseradish mayo, Greek pasta salad and broccoli slaw.

Italiancook
                              Participant

Years ago, my husband found a newspaper recipe for My Mom's Pot Roast. He made it a few years for Mother's Day. For the first time, I made it yesterday. It cooks in the oven. I decided it's a lot harder to cook a pot roast in the oven than on top of the stove. The LeCreuset dutch oven with a 3 pound roast and vegetables is too heavy to comfortably put in and take out of the oven. But it tasted good, and the veggies were heavenly. It uses Lipton's dry onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup, which are ingredients I don't use, but the flavor is good.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I almost always make pot roast in the oven, the only one I've done on the stovetop in years is the 'onion gravy' one, and you have to be careful not to scorch the onions on that one. (I've done it in the oven, but the onions don't dissolve as much, so you don't really wind up with onion gravy.)

The meat, onions and some beef stock go in first, cover and cook at 375 for about an hour, turning the meat once. Then I add the potatoes and aromatics (carrots, celery and usually some herbs, including a bay leaf) go in for about 90 minutes. Sometimes I also add a little more onion then, because the ones that have already been in will nearly dissolve. Then I add the mushrooms and let it cook for another 30 minutes.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.