What are you Cooking the Week of January 10, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 10, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's leftovers for us today, we've got a fridge full.

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I did Mapo Tofu several days ago. Today I decided that the leftovers had too much Tofu and not enough meat, so I cooked about 1/4 lb of hamburger with spices and added it to the leftover Tofu. Definitely an improvement. I was going to add some green onions to the leftovers too, but didn't have any in the refrigerator.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had leftover Brunswick Stew.

Italiancook
          Participant

I roasted 4 chicken quarters but didn't eat any of them. Tomorrow, I'll serve 2 of them with mashed potatoes & a frozen vegetable. I'd like gravy but may not have the energy to make it after cutting out and baking Angel Biscuits for the freezer after breakfast.

BakerAunt, like you, I have hinted to my husband that I want an Aerogarden. I even gave him their URL. So far, he hasn't taken the hint. I haven't pushed it, because I'm concerned the cord may be too short for my planned location for the garden. Mike, how long is the cord of yours?

I haven't had leaf lettuce since this pandemic began. I refuse to buy fruit and vegetables that other customers may have touched. I've only purchased items in bags or boxes. During the summer, I found plums and nectarines in bags, to my pleasant surprise. I'm really craving leaf lettuce and would like an Aerogarden for that. I've looked at their website but it leaves me with more questions than answers. I have no idea what to buy for the space we have. I thought my husband might fare better than I, so I hint and hint.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The cord is probably about six feet long, we have it plugged in to an extension cord, because the closest outlet is blocked by a desk. (It would have reached that one.)

I'm thinking I may eventually put a small UPS (uninterruptible power supply) in that room, my son tells me that the clock and possibly some other data can get reset if there's a power outage. (It may forget things like when the garden was set up and when it was last fed, and I don't know if there's an easy way to reset those.)

It does NOT need to be near a window, we just put it there because that was the most convenient place for it. We also set it on a coffee table so that we don't have to get down on our hands and knees to work on it. My wife can work on trimming it while sitting down.

My son has his (he now has at least 2 of them) on a counter in his basement laundry room, but he telecommutes and his desk is just around the corner, so he's down there for several hours most days.

If you get the farm system (24 pods) and have a wireless network, you can monitor your gardens from a cell phone, I think some of the smaller ones can do that as well.

I think we'll eventually be getting salads nearly every day from ours, we do have some tomato kits that my son ordered (I probably wouldn't have ordered them and I'm not sure when we'll use them), but I'm more interested in salad greens and herbs. My son has been growing tomatoes, bok choi and poblano peppers.

I think with 2 or 3 farm gardens you could pretty much grow your own leafy vegetables year round. You'd still need to buy root vegetables, though.

Italiancook
              Participant

Thanks a bundle for all the helpful Aerogarden info you posted, Mike!

RiversideLen
                Participant

Yesterday I made chicken patties and had a chicken sandwich and roasted sweet potato.

Will be the same tonight.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had pan fried cubed pork, macaroni and tomatoes and stewed squash.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

No cooking, more Brunswick Stew.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I used the leftovers from the chicken-spinach-mushroom casserole to make soup. I added celery, carrots, and chicken broth. Delicious! I've added it to the winter soup rotation, whether from leftovers or made special.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Chicken, spinach, and mushrooms is a delicious combination, Chocomouse!

On Tuesday afternoon, I roasted and processed the last two pie pumpkins.

For dinner on Tuesday, we had roasted chicken thighs, roasted cubed sweet potatoes drizzled with maple syrup in the last 10 minutes, and microwaved frozen peas.

I arranged my cooking so that when the pumpkin came out of the oven, I turned up the temperature and put in the chicken. The sweet potatoes were cooked in the countertop oven.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I had a chicken sandwich, roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potato. No pots used, just a foil lined pan, yay!

navlys
                            Participant

Thanks to the rotisserie chicken stock I froze I was able to make "everything but the kitchen sink "soup.
                              It's that time of year to pack for Florida and I have to get rid of a lot of stuff in the fridge and freezer. I added meatballs, onions, leftover pork tenderloin, carrots, noodles, spring mix leaves....etc.
                              Somehow it all worked!

ps I heard the FN now has a show involving use of leftovers.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I saw something that said netflix was starting a cooking competition show that involved leftovers (just what we need, another non-reality cooking competition show!), I didn't see anything about the food network doing it. But the food network is almost never about cooking anymore!

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

Some of the cooking emails that I've received in the last few months have made a point of cooking on the weekend so that some of what is cooked can be combined into different recipes for lunch and/or dinner. Many of those emails make it too complicated. I note that on this site a lot of us recombine leftovers into new meals with much less effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.