What are you Baking the week of September 29, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of September 29, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking here yet this week.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday evening, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I made last week.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I baked a double batch of zucchini-raspberry-lemon muffins. I also made Chex Mix for my husband's football watching season.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Today I made cinnamon roll dough and used that to make a danish with cream cheese filling and topped with some grated apple that I sweetened and cooked for a few minutes.I made them sort of like the size of a small honey bun after they were baked I drizzled them with powdered sugar glaze.They were real pretty but a little to bready for me,just trying something I wanted to try.Shared with my sister in law and she loved them.

chocomouse
            Participant

Tuesday I made maple cinnamon buns. I won't be using this recipe again, although the consistency of the baked dough was excellent - very light and soft. But the dough was so soft it was very difficult to work with, and there was almost no maple flavor.

navlys
              Participant

I almost made Cooks illustrated German pancake with an apple compote and sausage on the side. But the apples in the fridge were the delicious variety and just wouldn’t fit the bill. Maybe next week.

chocomouse
                Participant

Today I baked a new KAF recipe for Fresh Apple Cinnamon Scones. They are delicious! I used a whole apple instead of a half, and added 3 tablespoons of boiled cider. The texture is a little more like a muffin than a dry scone - and I like that. I used up half a bag of Hershey's precious cinnamon chips, soon I will be forced to try one of the DIY chips recipes I've found online. Has anyone tried making their own chips?

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Chocomouse--Baker Irene posted about making your own chips on the now defunct KAF Baking Circle. I saved the thread and posted it here:

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We spent the week at my husband's cousins' reunion. We find a place to rent--preferably with a large kitchen--and everyone cooks. On Wednesday night, I made up two batches of cinnamon rolls to rise in the refrigerator overnight. I brought my bread machine with me, with all the dry ingredients and the filling ingredients measured into containers. Dinner was late, so I didn’t get to start until after 8:30 p.m. As I expected, it took me three hours to get the dough kneaded, shaped, and refrigerated. I baked each pan separately the next morning.

This place is a former restaurant and is now a B&B. We requested being allowed to do our own breakfast and received a discount. It has a small commercial-style kitchen, but it does not appear to have been kept in very good working order. I suspect that their breakfast (it is normally a B&B, but we like to do our own cooking and baking) is rather simple. Although there is a large gas Wolf range—double oven, six unsealed burners—the oven did not regulate temperatures too well. I had to set it 25F above, and even then, it seemed to want to go back to 325F. I benefited from the cousins who had done some baking before me and their recommendations. The sweet rolls came out very well, and one pan was consumed with breakfast, and the second one started. By the time we left on Friday morning, there was not a cinnamon roll remaining.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

nuts.com has cinnamon chips, about $5 per pound, plus shipping..

skeptic7
                        Participant

Yesterday I did Fresh apple scones with honey and buttermilk and Cox Orange Pippin apples, and did KAF apple challah, using all whole wheat flour, no honey and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon. I used two Winesap apples. Both came out very well. The apple challah was baked in a cloche and was very high and light. The apple challah had a decided cinnamon flavor.
                          I was baking both in honor of Rosh Hoshonah which is my favorite Jewish Celebration -- how can anyone not like a festival which celebrates with apples and honey.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I need to check out that recipe, Skeptic!

On Saturday afternoon, I used the Apricot-Oatmeal Bars recipe, which is posted here (with only ½ cup of sugar and 1/8th tsp. salt) but used my own three-berry jam and a bit of my leftover strawberry jam. I had mixed some quick oats with flax meal for the main dish I had planned for the family reunion, but as it was not needed, I now need to use the mixed ingredients. So, the cup of oats I used contained flax meal as well. The bars came out well, and we each had one for dessert.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

The other day I baked a batch of my semolina/rye/wheat buns. A while back I got a container of KAF Everything Bagel topping, I finally remembered to use it on my buns. That goes really good on them, I'll be doing that again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.