What are You Baking the Week of September 1, 2019?

Home Forums Baking β€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of September 1, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have an English Muffin splitter that I bought from King Arthur. It's a small plastic contraption that has the tines of a fork. It requires compressing the handle when you stick it in, then releasing it. I work my way around the muffin until I have two halves.

I think that buttermilk makes a particularly great muffin, which is why I replaced the milk. I've had to switch out the butter in my recipe with canola oil to accommodate my need to reduce saturated fat. Inn this recipe, I can get away with doing that.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've used a knife to split both home made and commercial (Wolferman) English muffins, it didn't destroy the holes. However, a fork produces a less smooth surface, so IMHO that's why there are more holes visible.

chocomouse
        Participant

Paddy, on the obc, posted her English muffin recipe using her sourdough starter, if anyone is interested. I've made it, and wrote on it that it is "good, use it".

Baker Aunt, I have that same splitter tool. Or, "had" it. Don't know where it is, probably threw it away!! A regular fork works as good for me. I also always use buttermilk, and sometimes use oil instead of butter.

Mike, I agree with you. I think a knife just ruins the surface.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I needed a quick dessert for Wednesday, so I used the Apricot Oatmeal Bar recipe on this site, with my substitution of white whole wheat flour and reduction to Β½ cup brown sugar and 1/8th tsp. salt. For the fruit spread, I used a 10 oz. jar of all-fruit blueberry jam.

Chocomouse--Please do post the recipe. It would be nice to have a sourdough English muffin recipe from Paddy. I would try it with my starter.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made a large Texas Chocolate Sheet Pan today to celebrate my birthday. We ate some of it and the rest will go in to my wife's office in the morning. I made a batch-and-a-half of batter and a quadruple batch of frosting to go in my new 2" deep half sheet pan. My wife thinks the frosting might have been a bit of overkill, I think it'll be better after it hardens up overnight.

skeptic7
              Participant

On English Muffins, I try to divide the dough evenly. I normally start by forming into a log and try to subdivide into 9 pieces, but it never works out perfectly. I always have several muffins over size and several undersize.

I baked currant - candied orange peel quick bread in my slw cooker. It took 2 1/2 hours.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I can't bench divide evenly, either, so I always use a scale.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Happy Birthday Mike!Wishing you a great day and all your wishes come true!

skeptic7
                    Participant

Happy Birthday Mike.
                      I bake my English Muffins and the dough is about as firm as a normal bread dough, definately firmer than a focaccio dough. I don't get the big holes and I really don't miss them. How much butter do you need on an English Muffin anyway? A smooth surface makes it easier to spread jelly.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I just posted the Sourdough Buttermilk Bread recipe that PaddyL (Lanctot) posted on the OBC many years ago. It begins with a detailed description of starting her "famous" starter "Brigid". She also describes making the dough into a raisin-cinnamon bread that her sister Sheila was so fond of.

Happy Birthday Mike!

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Happy Birthday Mike!

Okay, next starter question - my rye bread has a starter with rye flour in it. Can I use this as a generic starter for other sourdoughs? I supposed I can test it and see how much it changes the flavor. But the rye in the starter would be a pretty small part of any non-rye recipe.

Thanks!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Opinions vary on whether rye starters are better than wheat starters, one expert recommends feeding a wheat starter with rye flour every few weeks and others recommend a mixture of wheat and rye.

Having a little rye flour in a wheat bread isn't a bad thing in general. πŸ™‚

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Cool! And then I can claim any bread I bake is "multi-grain" which is obviously better for you! πŸ™‚

chocomouse
                              Participant

Yes, Len! Great thinking!! And I've read that if your starter has been sitting for a while or is having a hard time waking up, to use some rye flour to get it moving.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Len--I think that your Rye/Whole Wheat/Semolina innovation got lost amidst the English Muffin discussion. I have read about hydrating flour before it is time to mix the bread, so I'll need to make a note of that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.