What are you Baking the Week of October 8, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 8, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've got sourdough cheese crackers to bake tomorrow, probably won't do any baking today.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I made a half batch of sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made dough for three batches of sweet rolls--two regular and one vegan--on Sunday evening, shaped the rolls and let the rise in the pans overnight. I baked them on Monday morning at my husband's cousins' reunion.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The first batch of sourdough cheese crackers were overdone by 15 minutes at 400, so for the second batch I lowered the temperature to 350, rotated them at 5 minutes, checked them at 10 minutes and baked them a total of 13 minutes. I may do the next batch a total of 12 minutes.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Mike--With my current oven, I bake at 375F convection on the third rack up for 5 minutes and 30 seconds, then turn the pan around and bake another 5 minutes 30 seconds. A lot depends on your oven.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

12-13 minutes at 350 seems to be working in my big oven. I'll see what Diane thinks of these, I think I can understand why your husband gobbles them down, though. (I also think they could use a little more cheese in them.)

I thought about trying a convection setting for a batch but after the first batch got overbaked to the point where I had to toss it, I decided to try that another time.

I did the 2nd and 3rd batches in a perforated pan.

I used my small sheeter to roll out the dough, so the thickness was pretty uniform. That's always been the hardest part of making crackers for me. I do think I need some flour or something under the dough so it slides better as it gets thinner. (That's the one thing the smaller or hand-cranked laminators don't do well, on the big ones the output side belt moves slightly faster than the input side belt.)

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Diane thought the sourdough cheese crackers were good, a lot like wheat thins. They'd be good with a cheese dip or sour cream dip.

I think she agrees with me that they don't have enough cheese in them, and she thought I put too much salt on top. If I add cheese, I might not need to put any salt on top at all. I might use a slightly finer grind on the wheat berries next time, too, I tend to use the coarsest setting my grain mill will do.

I'm using the "It's Just White Cheddar Cheese Powder", not the King Arthur one.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Mike--I'm glad the crackers came out well and that Diane likes them. I stopped putting salt on mine, at my husband's request, and while it took some getting used to by me, I like them that way now. I agree that the cheese powder provides plenty of salt.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Have you ever tried adding any rye flour to the sourdough cheese crackers?

chocomouse
                      Participant

I baked 2 dozen onion-wild rice rolls from Peter Reinhart's recipe.

rottiedogs
                        Participant

I made cornbread and Polish Kolocz - a yeasted cheese bread.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Mike--I've not tried rye flour in the sourdough cheese crackers. I don't think my husband wants them changed.

While it is not a sourdough recipe, I do like to make Rye Crispbread. I think that I posted the recipe here at Nebraska Kitchen.

Rottiedogs--Your Polish Kolocz sounds delicious!

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made 2 loaves of BakerAunt's recipe for Mostly Whole Wheat Maple Butternut bread. And we sliced into a cooled loaf for egg salad sandwiches for dinner.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

That's a great bread for egg salad sandwiches, Chocomouse!

We returned from the reunion on Thursday. I had a cup of almond milk left over from the vegan cinnamon rolls. It was five days since I made the almond milk, and it does not last much beyond five days. To use it up, I baked a new recipe, "Vegan Almond Cake," from the site Rainbow Nourishments. I did not deviate from the recipe's ingredients, but as it is an oil cake, I used my technique of combining the oil and the sugar (first mixed with the zest) with my electric mixer, then mixed in the rest of the wet ingredients. At that point, I switched to my cake whisk and added the dry ingredients to the wet ones. I sprinkled the optional sliced almonds on top of the cake before baking. It was done in about 48 minutes. I will let it rest overnight, then we will cut into it tomorrow for dessert. The recipe also uses almond flour and AP flour. I chose King Arthur AP, since almond flour has no gluten.

navlys
                                Participant

I made Blueberry Pie Bars. I had some blueberries that I had frozen a while ago and they worked fine. The dessert was a hit at our wine event.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.