What are you Baking the Week of May 9, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 9, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I did a second batch of the Ginger Rye cookies. Oh so good. These are even better than last time as I was careful not to over bake them. I also did pumpkin corn bread with dried cranberries. These are a little too sweet. Next time I'll cute the honey down from 1/4 cup to 3 tablespoons and see if that helps.

Janiebakes
      Participant

Pumpkin cornbread. That is imaginative and sounds delicious.

Italiancook
        Participant

Yesterday, I baked blueberry muffins. As an experiment, I added a teaspoon of lemon juice powder. Couldn't taste it in the finished product. I'll try 2 teaspoons next time.

chocomouse
          Participant

Italiancook, I use the lemon juice powder frequently, and especially love it in blueberry baked goods, such as muffins and coffeecake. I find I need to use 2 generous tablespoons in a 3-cup of flour recipe that makes about 22 muffins. Have you tried the KABC recipe for lemon streusel? It is excellent! It makes a lot, so I use about half and freeze the rest for later.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Thursday, I baked my version of the KABC Dutch Oven Dinner Rolls in my Emile Henry ceramic crock. I cut the salt further, so it is now ¾ tsp. rather than 1 ¼ tsp., and I increased the water to 1//3 cup and the buttermilk by another tablespoon. We had some at dinner with leftover soup.

skeptic7
              Participant

I did a spinach pizza yesterday, well it started as a spinach pizza but I added some ham and smoked cheese to make it more flavorfull. Definitely more flavorfull and probably full of calories.
                Today I did a KAF apple challah, only I used maple syrup instead of honey. It looks nice but I haven't cut it yet.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We're going to do a lahvosh pizza for supper, and I'm thinking I may start some kind of multi-stage rye bread this evening.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We were out of bread, so I baked two loaves of Len’s Semolina Rye on Friday afternoon. The loaves have better rise if I preheat the oven to 400F, then drop the temperature to 375F after I put in the loaves. As the bread was baking, my husband came down the stairs and exclaimed, "Those smell so good!"

skeptic7
                    Participant

I normally buy sandwich bread, but the last two times I was at Trader Joe's they didn't have the whole wheat bread I normally buy. I might have to bake some so I don't have to avoid sandwiches. When I bake I prefer scones, or pizza, or sweet breads that I can't buy. Most of yesterday's apple challah is in the refrigerator so I can share it with friends later.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

skeptic7, do you have a pan de pie pan? Our favorite sandwich bread is the King Arthur Pan de Pie white bread - I add in white whole wheat for some of the AP. It is so close and better than the Pepperidge Farm sandwich bread we used to get.

Have you gotten your mixer back yet? Or do you have a bread machine. I make mine in the Zo on the dough setting. When that is done I put it in the pan for its last rise before baking.

PJ did a blog on making a sourdough bread in the pan de mie that I want to try with the sourdough discard - she doesn't bother to put the lid on the pan and she says it makes great sandwich bread. As I recall, it's sort of a no-knead recipe.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

The Clonmel Kitchens Double Crusty bread that Paddy L posted on the old BC (and is here) makes an excellent sandwich bread when done in a loaf pan, though I prefer to do it as a free-form Vienna-style bread (substituting butter for the oil.) And it is one of the easier recipes to do.

I've done it in a 4x4x13 Pullman pan as well, but I scale the recipe down to use 24 ounces of flour.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I seem to recall that Skeptic does not have a stand mixer. The member whose mixer is out for repairs is Italian Cook.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Oops - I think they both have green avatars. Sorry about that.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

My husband has been working hard sanding and applying polyurethane coats to bookcases that we had built for the study, since we could not find any bookcases that fit the need and were solid wood. Our contractor will install them next week. To thank my husband, I baked a cherry pie on Saturday night. I used my oil-buttermilk crust, the filling recipe from Baking Illustrated (from Cooks Illustrated), my adaptation of the streusel topping from Carol Walter’s pie book, as well as my adaptation of her technique from her Blueberry Streusel pie. I used three jars of Dark Morella cherries that we found at Aldi’s earlier this year. (I have another three jars in the pantry). These are equivalent to those I used to get at Trader Joe’s whenever I was near one. For the streusel, I replaced 1/3 cup melted butter with 1 Tbs. melted butter and 3 Tbs. avocado oil. We will cut into the pie for dessert tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a batch of my buns this evening but withheld 2 buns worth of dough to make a cast iron pan pizza for dinner.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.