What are you Baking the Week of May 30, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 30, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making a batch of semolina bread today.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Today I'm planning to make a batch of bagels.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Dinner tonight will be my sourdough pan pizza. I remembered to set out the sourdough, thaw a package of Canadian bacon, thaw a chunk of mozzarella. After I mixed the dough and set it for its first rise, I realized: I have no pizza sauce. Oops. I pulled out a can of Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes. I heated some olive oil, added minced garlic, then the tomatoes and cooked them down until thick.

I will top the pizza with the sauce, Canadian bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, green onion, black olives (these on my half) and Parmesan cheese.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made a Sunflower Shaped Bread, to gift a friend who has often shared her baked goods with us. A number of years ago I made several with sesame and poppy seeds, and also with a mixture of savory herbs and seeds. This time I brushed melted butter and sprinkled cinnamon-sugar on each layer, for a sweet version.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

What a beautiful bread, Chocomouse!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I thought it looked a bit too dark until I read the part about the cinnamon, looks tasty.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Nice looking bread Chocomouse.

kimbob
                  Participant

That's fantastic, chocomouse. Wow!

Janiebakes
                    Participant

I bet that tastes wonderful chocomouse. I can see pulling thin layers off one at a time. I made brownies from the Joy of Cooking. Not nearly as pretty as your bread.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I had some dough leftover from making the Sunflower Bread yesterday, because I cut down on the size, so I made this Cinnamon Twist Bread. I will share this with my sister, since we are having a girls' weekend in Maine Thursday-Monday.

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Chocomouse your cinnamon twist bread looks good too,enjoy your sister time!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I miss having sister time.

Before I baked the Key Lime Tartlets last week, I did a google search for egg white recipes, as the tartlets would use three egg yolks. On Wednesday, I used one of the whites to bake a recipe from Epicurious:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/3-ingredient-hazelnut-cookies

Note: It uses a pinch of salt, so it is actually a 4-ingredient recipe.

My husband is not fond of hazelnuts, and I had no whole ones, so I substituted pecans, as one reviewer also did. I toasted the pecans for 12 minutes at 350F, which was fine, before using my small food processor to coarsely grind them. I used the whisk attachment with my hand mixer to whisk the egg and salt, then folded in the sugar and the pecans. I used my Zeroll Scoop #40 to form the cookies, ending up with ten rather than twelve. I baked them on the third rack up (a bit above center) for 18 minutes. These ae a light cookie (gluten-free) and are crisp on the edges and chewy in the center. The recipe is a keeper for when I have a leftover egg white.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I'm going to save that recipe, BakerAunt, it sounds really good. I may need to hunt up some recipes that will leave me with leftover egg whites!

Today I baked 2 loaves of sandwich bread, with oatmeal and whole wheat.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

When I have left over egg whites from Challah, I've been making 'forgotten' chocolate meringue cookies, a Washington Post recipe. I've made 4 batches of them, no 2 of them came out quite the same. Next batch I'm going to lower the temperature a bit, I think the cocoa got a little scorched in the last batch.

Janiebakes
                                Participant

Baker Aunt, that recipe does sound good. I love meringue cookies with ground nuts.

Mike, I was amazed the WP recipe was not behind a pay wall. It is unusual in that you do not whip the eggwhites/sugar then fold in the rest of the ingredients. You have made a number of batches so I guess you like the flavor and texture?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.