What are you Baking the week of May 19, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of May 19, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for the week's baking. It's cool here today, I should find something to bake.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

To go with soup on a chilly Monday evening, I baked my favorite cornbread, using half white whole wheat flour and half cornmeal.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made up another batch of sourdough this time I added a cup of sour cream mashed potatoes we had left from one day or so ago.It rose overnight and I kneaded it this morning and panned it up,it rose over the top of pan in 2 1/2-3 hours.It baked at 350* for 35-40 minutes and was really tall like 4 1'2 inches and held up well after it was turned out.Will cut it later today or tomorrow.

BakerAunt
          Participant

It's a day for sourdough, Joan!

I fed my sourdough starter Tuesday night and made a levain with 1 cup starter, 1 cup AP flour; and ½ cup warm water. On Wednesday morning, I continued my experiment of making wholegrain variations on the King Arthur Rustic Sourdough recipe. I used 1 Tbs. honey, 1 ½ tsp. yeast, 1 cup water. I combined it with the starter. I then added the whole grains: 2 ¼ cup Irish Wholemeal flour (with a little dark rye to make up for not having enough); ¾ cup white rye; 3 Tbs. flax meal, ¼ cup malted wheat flakes, and ¼ cup special dried milk. I mixed and let sit for 20 minutes. I added 1 ¼ cup AP with 1 ¼ tsp. salt. I baked it in my Emile Henry long baker for 25 minutes covered at 425F, removed the cover and baked another 15 minutes. It needed 5 minutes more to get to 201F. [Next time, I’ll try 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.] It’s cooling. We will cut into it for lunch tomorrow.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I baked a whole grain, low-fat pumpkin bread Wednesday evening. The base recipe is from the treasure trove of recipes here at Nebraska Kitchen that came from the Baking Circle. I was delighted to discover it last fall and have baked it three or four times. It encourages bakers to make the recipe their own. I use some barley flour, flax meal, quick oats, buttermilk and powdered milk. I baked it as 6 small loaves. I will freeze four of them and pull them out as needed.

Here's the link:

Italiancook
              Participant

I baked Banana Muffins for breakfast. I've been in a lull about making Slow Cooker Irish Oatmeal for 6 days worth of breakfasts, and I'm tired of eating cereal with banana. So the muffins were a pleasant treat.

Italiancook
                Participant

This afternoon, I baked KAF Vanilla Pan Cake for the first time. The cake turned out too thin for me to frost. Plain, the cakes tastes good, but it was too much work for such a thin cake -- for me.

chocomouse
                  Participant

This morning I baked a dozen hamburger buns for my husband's meals when I am away next week, and 5 dozen "breakfast" cookies - with peanut butter, oatmeal, coconut, walnuts, currents and chocolate chips.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Chocomouse those cookies sounds good.
                      Today I cut the sourdough bread that I added a cup of mashed potatoes and it's got a very good crumb and tastes better for sure at least to me,so I'm happy.Made good toast this morning.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Friday morning, I baked another batch of seeded crispbread--a snack that I like to keep in the house. I also baked a new recipe, Orange-Almond Breakfast Bars, from the issue of Heart Smart Recipes (a Better Homes and Gardens Special Issue), p. 12. I followed the directions, but the ones in the picture look like flat bars, while mine seem cake-like. I’ll add a note after we cut into them. These bars are loaded with calcium and potassium from dried apricots, almonds, almond butter, and the half whole wheat flour. They might actually make a good breakfast bar.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Aside from the coconut (my wife won't eat coconut), I agree the breakfast cookies sound interesting. Can you post the recipe?

chocomouse
                          Participant

The Breakfast Cookies are good - usually, and they are fairy healthy. I'll post a recipe of sorts tomorrow, but I think I've never made them exactly the same way! I'm still struggling with my oven and the new element. Old tried and true recipes that I have made many times, for cookies and muffins, are not working out. They are pale and not cooked through. The oven thermometer usually agrees with the temp I have it set for, but a couple of times I've seen it show 25* lower. For this first batch of cookies, I increased the temp to 375, didn't keep a close enough eye on progress, and the cookies were just short of "burned". This second tray was better, but still dry and overcooked (that might be the result of the dough, not the oven temp, but I don't think so). I've also tried adjusting the oven rack. The one constant through all this is my breads - they are perfectly baked -- because I use an instant thermometer, of course!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I doubt we can help you conquer the new oven. A professional chef I know told me that when he moves to a new kitchen one of the things he does is take a few loaves of sliced bread and toast them in the oven at different heights and settings, to get an idea of
                              how the oven works and where it has hot spots (they all do, even the best convection ovens.)

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Quick Note on the Breakfast Bars I baked. They are not particularly sweet, so I think my husband was disappointed at dinner, although he did have an additional slice. I think that the recipe is more of a breakfast or snack item. We will eat them, but I don't know if I'll bake the recipe again.

I just saw the recipe that S. Wirth pulled from the files here. It looks good, and I like that it includes oats. I will put it on my list of recipes to try.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Chocomouse--Do you think that something other than the element might be causing problems with your oven?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.