QuickBread — Pumpkin Bread, Spiced — Versatile! by lemonpoppy

Home Forums Recipes QuickBread — Pumpkin Bread, Spiced — Versatile! by lemonpoppy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

QuickBread - Pumpkin Bread, Spiced -- Versatile!
      Submitted by lemonpoppy on March 17, 2004 at 11:38 pm

DESCRIPTION
      QuickBread - Pumpkin Bread, Spiced -- Versatile!

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Muffins Quickbreads Scones

INSTRUCTIONS
      SPICED PUMPKIN BREAD -- Here's that to-die-for recipe. A GOOD friend gave it to me 🙂 If you check it out on epicurious.com, you can get some great ideas from the reviews, such as adding dried cranberries or chocolate chips! It's a very forgiving recipe. In fact, I cut out 1 c. of sugar (for more subtle flavors; also, for the 2 cups that I do use, I use half dark brown and half granulated sugar) and decrease the oil to only 1/2 c. You can instead either increase the pumpkin, add applesauce, or add buttermilk in lieu of the other 1/2c. of oil. Also, increase the spices-you won't regret it!

Taken from Bon Appetit, November 1995. Submitted by a Vern Bertagna of West Frankfort, Illinois. "Serve one of these loaves the day you make them. Wrap the other in foil and freeze up to one month so that you'll have it on hand for unexpected company."

3 cups sugar (I use only 2 cups: 1c.dark brown, 1c. regular)
      1 cup vegetable oil (I use 1/2 c. oil and 1/2 c. pumpkin/buttermilk/yogurt/etc.)
      3 large eggs
      1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
      3 cups all purpose flour (can use any combination of other flours, just be sure to include some wheat flour for "lift")
      1 teaspoon ground cloves (make that 1.5!)
      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (make that 1.5!)
      1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (make that 1.5!)
      (try adding also 1 t. ground ginger)
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)(and/or choc chips/cranberies/etc.)

Preheat oven to 350degF. Butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl. Stir into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts (or choc chips or dried cranberries), if desired. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes (but perhaps check at 55 minutes). Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely. Makes 2 loaves.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

This is a great base recipe, as Lemonpoppy notes, and I am glad she posted it at the Baking Circle, and grateful that Rottiedogs saved it and put it here on Nebraska Kitchen.

Here are my changes:
        1. I reduced the sugar to 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
        2. I followed Lemonpoppy's suggestion and substituted half buttermilk for half the canola oil I used.
        3. I used homemade pumpkin puree.
        4. For the flour combination, I used 1 1/2 Gold Medal unbleached flour, 1 cup Bob's Red Mill barley flour, 3/4 cups quick oats. (I started with 1/2 cup oats, but my pumpkin was somewhat watery.)
        5. I added 1/4 cup flax meal and 1/3 cup powdered milk to increase nutrition
        6. For the spices, I used 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. ginger, and 1/4 tsp. cloves.

The recipe bakes well in six 3x6 inch pans. (I suggest using The Grease to coat the pans before adding the batter.) I baked the pans for 30 minutes at 350F.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.