What are you Baking the Week of June 5, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 5, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

About time to make more semolina bread here.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I will be making dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Sunday afternoon, since it will need to rest in the refrigerator until the end of the week, when I will bake them. I predict that my husband will have worked his way through the current batch BEFORE that time.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Friends had a jazz concert/lemonade stand/bake sale yesterday so I baked some a few dozen oatmeal coconut chocolate chip cookies for that.

I baked two loaves of my sourdough that has been blowing out on me and I am proud to say I managed it with NO BLOWOUTS! I let it rise overnight in the basement - about 65 - instead of the fridge - 38 - and then left it rise upstairs - about 73 to 75 - for about four hours before deeply slashing it then baking.

My oven was too cool when I put it in - 350 - so I did not have as much oven spring as I like and the gluten was not developed enough so the loaves were flatter but the bread looks nice and my boys like it. I've started slicing these loaves in half then cutting slices the long way. It can make better sandwiches that way.

NoBlowoutSourDough06052022‑2

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

Bread looks good Aaron,like the idea of cutting it the way you do.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Aaron, I see some error message complaining about the size of the pictures. How big are they, maybe I can raise the limit.

chocomouse
              Participant

Today I made raspberry muffins. We freeze most of our raspberries individually on a tray, and when frozen put them into plastic containers. I have to work quickly but gently to stir them into the batter, but they mostly stay in one piece instead of making a crumbly mess.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I made the small chocolate cake today and frosted with chocolate icing.Got my chocolate fix.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Like Joan, I needed a chocolate fix!

I was in the mood for chocolate, but the only recipe for oil-based Chocolate Crinkle Cookies that I could find was at the Lehman's website, and I thought there was one that I had liked better that had more chocolate. I looked in the King Arthur Cookie Companion and found a Chocolate Crinkle Cookie recipe that calls for 6 Tbs. melted butter. I decided to try modifying it. I used 75% white whole wheat, since I still had a mixture left over from last week that I wanted to use up. I cut the salt by a third, and I added a teaspoon of espresso powder. In place of the butter, I used 4 Tbs. olive oil and 2 Tbs. buttermilk. The dough was somewhat slack, but I was able to use a #30 Zeroll scoop. I put each ball into powdered sugar to coat, then used my hand to move each one to the baking sheet. I ended up with 20 large cookies. I baked each sheet on the third rack up for 14 minutes, turning halfway through. These are flat, soft cookies with intense chocolate flavor.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

BakerAunt your cookies sounds very good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I baked cornbread on Friday to go with leftover beef stew for dinner.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made two loaves of KABC's Semolina Rye bread. They rose quickly and the oven spring was tremendous! I did cut back on the salt a little.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I made challah for the first time in about a year. It took three tries to shape one well. I put them all on one half sheet so they grew together, but I knew that would happen. And one was a little dark. But the inside is really nice. This is the closest my challah has been to what my mom made as I've ever made.

Challah-uncut-06102022

Challah-cut-06102022

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

Beautiful loaves, Aaron!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Nice bread Aaron!

chocomouse
                                Participant

Super good braiding!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.