What are You Baking the Week of June 16, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 16, 2019?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I probably have an old email from her. If you like, I can try to contact her.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Please try, I've tried a couple of times with no reply, but I had email delivery problems with her in the past as well.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made a batch of my burger buns this afternoon.

Italiancook
          Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for the biscuit links. I learned something new -- to briefly put the mixed dry ingredients in the freezer to make them cold. I'm careful with keeping cold things cold when I make biscuits. I dice butter and measure milk and/or cheese and return to refrig while I work on the dry ingredients. I take them out individually, at the point the recipe calls for each one. It makes sense to me to chill the dry ingredients, and I'll try that. Won't be for a while as I don't often make biscuits.

skeptic7
            Participant

I made bread on Thursday in the slow cooker. I put the bread in the pan, placed it the slow cooker and went off to work. It was suppose to be a whole wheat bread with a cinnamon swirl. Things got busy and work and I came home late to find the bread was badly over cooked and had a decided harsh carmelized flavor. I cut it in cubes and went off to feed the geese this morning.

Italiancook
              Participant

I've started a tradition of having coffee cake for breakfast on Sundays. Tonight, I baked tomorrow's cake. Quick Coffee Cake from Allrecipes. I sampled it and don't like the topping. Too sandy. The cake is good, so I'll make this again sometime using one of Jenny Jones' (jennycancook.com) toppings.

chocomouse
                Participant

What a terrific new tradition, Italiancook -- I love coffeecake! Today I made a lemon blueberry coffeecake with lemon streusel. I've made it a number of times, loosely based on KAF's 2 recipes: Blueberry Coffeeake with Lemon Streusel and Lemon Streusel Coffeecake. I love, love, love the KAF lemon juice powder; it's more potent than any of the oils, emulsions, juices, etc. I also like to add fresh lemon zest, but don't always have lemons on hand. If you try it, I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Does anyone else use the tea loaf pan, a ceramic baker, sold by KAF? I like the size and shape, but always have to bake my recipes for much longer, like about 20 minutes longer. I wondering if others have this same experience?

Italiancook
                  Participant

chocomouse, thanks for pointing me to the 2 KAF recipes. I use KAF recipes a lot, always with good success, but I never thought to search there for coffeecake recipes! I just printed the two you suggested, and one of them will be on our table next Sunday. I'll let you know how it turned out. I have a question:

The Blueberry Coffeecake with Lemon Streusel calls for candied lemon peel. I don't have any and am certain none of the stores around here sell it. Do you use this product or do you sub it out for something else?

I also don't have the lemon juice powder, but I see on the recipe I can sub the zest of 2 lemons.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Italiancook, those two recipes are very similar, and I kind of mix and match the lemon flavoring, while keeping the basic ingredients the same. The first time I made it, I used lemon peel that I had candied. In the batch I made yesterday, I used only 2 tablespoons of lemon juice powder in the dough and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice powder in the streusel. I have also made it with lemon juice, or lemon zest and/or lemon oil. In my opinion, the juice powder gives the best lemon flavor, and is easy to keep in the pantry. Also, since KAF is 10 miles down the road, it's easy for me to restock; I don't know if it is available elsewhere or online.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Saturday evening, I baked my standard “knead in the bread machine” loaf. For the whole grains, I used 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill 5-grain rolled cereal, 1 cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup dark rye flour, 2 Tbs. flax meal, and 2 Tbs. wheat bran (have a lot that I need to use). I’m looking forward to the arrival on Monday of our new refrigerator-freezer, which will then give us two. I can then go back to baking more than one loaf at a time, as I will have room to store it.

Italiancook
                        Participant

chocomouse, I've added lemon powder to my KAF wish list. I checked out the ingredient list on their website & will buy it with a future order. Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I've used lemon oil but don't have any in stock now.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I'd second the recommendation for the KAF lemon powder, we've used it in things like frostings and fillings.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.