What are You Baking the Week of June 16, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 16, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For breakfast on Sunday, I did some major adaptation of a Quaker Oats recipe for Oat Honey Muffins. I used white whole wheat flour, reduced the oil, reduced the brown sugar by half, added powdered milk and used buttermilk in place of regular milk, and replaced the ¼ cup of honey with an equal amount of dark maple sugar. I also reduced the salt and reduced the baking powder and added some baking soda. (At this point, the recipe is mine.) I soaked the old-fashioned oats in the buttermilk for about 15 minutes before mixing in the egg, oil, maple syrup, and ¼ cup dates. I added that to the flour mixture. The muffins did not have a lot of rise, and I didn’t expect that as they also have 1 ½ cups oats. However, they are not a dense muffin. I baked them in a large 6-cup muffin pan. The warm one was delicious—no butter needed. I hope that they are equally good at room temperature, which I’ll find out tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

For breakfast & the freezer, I made Jenny Jones' (jennycancook.com) Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake. No butter -- I used light olive oil. It's delicious & not too sweet. Because I've developed lactose-intolerance, I've been drinking Lactaid milk. This was my first experience using it for baking, and it worked fine.

For a late lunch of of Carrot Soup from the freezer, I made E-Z Drop Biscuits from Allrecipes. It was my first experience with drop biscuits. I'm really not a biscuit person, but I didn't want to donate the time to dinner rolls. My husband thinks they're very good. Also used Lactaid milk in these.

Last night I spent a pleasurable hour or so searching this site for a drop biscuit recipe. Didn't find one, but I came across the recipe for 7-Up Biscuits. The suggestion is to make and freeze them unbaked. There are instructions for baking a 9x13" pan of them from the frozen state. For medical reasons, I can't use any of the 3 ingredients in this recipe, but the next time I hear relatives are coming to visit, I'm going to make and freeze them and bake for the guests' breakfast. Sounds much easier than making biscuits from scratch while guests are here.

Thanks to BakerAunt and everyone else who took the time to post the threads and recipes from the Baking Circle to this site!

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I baked two loaves of rye bread. I subbed sweet gherkin pickle juice for the dill pickle juice I usually use because I didn't have any dill juice. It seems to have a good flavor (I also used caraway, dill, and mustard seed plus dried onion) and it had a lot of oven spring.

Italiancook
          Participant

A few months ago, I made Double Chocolate Brownies to send back to the office with one of my repairmen. Soon I heard from him and one of his co-workers that I could send brownies to them anytime -- soon, preferably. At 5:30 this morning, I was making these brownies. Since the repair technician prefers them warm, I drove them in the baking dish to his office soon after they came out of the oven.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Italiancook what a nice thing to do,awesome!I know they were all smiling to get warm brownies!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The search feature here needs a lot of work, especially for recipes. That's my project for this fall, once I learn a bit more about writing WordPress plugins. Then I'll probably have to go through them all (over 2400 of them) and recode them, adding search terms.

I think we've got DvdLee's biscuits recipe (possibly more than one of them from him), but if so it's probably in the 'saved threads from the old BC site' category. There may be a biscuits recipe from Grizzlybiscuits somewhere, too.

skeptic7
                Participant

I did Cranberry Pumpkin whole wheat scones on Sunday. They were a little dry but are making a very good breakfast when reheated and spread with a little butter. I've been taking them to work for a snack with unfortunately no butter, but with either milk or coffee.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Mike, does the 2400 recipes include the ones in the threads? You've got a big job to pull the recipes from the threads. In the long thread I read from beginning to end, there were 3 recipes. I appreciate all your efforts for this site!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

No, that count only includes the ones that have been posted in the recipes category. I'm not sure if it is even possible to find much less count and index all the recipes that are buried in other threads.

Italiancook
                      Participant

As I mentioned in the Cooking thread, I baked Garlic-Herb Butter Drop Biscuits this afternoon, from Allrecipes. It's suggested to brush them after baked with melted butter, parley flakes and garlic powder. I didn't do that. I don't like melted butter on top of biscuits and rolls once they come out of the oven. Plus, there's garlic powder in the dough, and I'm not a fan of garlic powder. In the dough, I reduced it from 1/3 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon. Overall, these are good biscuits, and I'm not a biscuit person. I'm glad I did the trial run with EZ Drop Biscuits so I knew which cookie scoop to use today and how full to fill it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

Yesterday I made a raspberry poke cake, with a cream cheese frosting and homemade raspberry jam. I'm a little disappointed, as I think it needs a lot more jam. I guess I'd prefer a layer cake with the jam between the layers. This was my first poke cake-- I don't know how I missed the fad back in the 70s!!

This morning I made burger buns for the freezer. And now, I have dough in the abm -- will be a pepperoni pizza for dinner tonight.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by chocomouse.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

My experience with biscuits is somewhat limited, but I think if they're brushed with butter they need to be eaten fairly quickly, otherwise they get soggy when reheated.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Sunday afternoon, I made my version of Ellen’s (Moonie’s) buns as 12 rolls baked in a 10x10-inch pan. These were for a trip we took to the Smokey Mountains for a small gathering of my family. We returned Thursday evening, and I have two of the submarine rolls frozen, so that will tide us over until I can bake bread again.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Here is David Lee's recipe, posted by Zen to the Baking Circle, and put onto Nebraska Kitchen by Rottiedogs:

And here is the one from Grizzleybiscuit, that I saved and posted here:

I put some of Miss Cindy's biscotti recipes that were in threads into the recipe section, so that we could find them more easily. Perhaps, Mike, once you get the other recipes sorted, some of us could volunteer to take certain threads and comb them for recipes, so that those could also go into the recipe section.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Sharing the workload sounds good to me.

Is anyone still in contact with Zen? I think she has all the recipes from the old BC in a file, if I can get them I can try to write something to find and add the ones others didn't upload when we first came up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.