What are you Baking the Week of July 3, 2022?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 3, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made pie dough in anticipation of making a cherry pie tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made the dough for pizza crust this morning and let it sit on the counter all day,my pizza was awesome. Ever since someone here told me about using only 1/4 tsp of yeast and letting it set all day I've done this and it's so easy and good.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Today's cherry pie. I didn't do a lattice crust because my wife doesn't like lattice crusts.

cherrypie

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

Pie looks good Mike.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The pie filling didn't set up, the crust is fully baked but the inside is soupy. Not sure what I did wrong, I followed the SFBI recipe I always use.

Still tasty but not County Fair worthy. As I told my wife, at least it has a built-in sauce. ๐Ÿ™‚

cwcdesign
              Participant

I received my Emile Henry Long Baker on Saturday. BA, I was wondering if you could recommend any recipes - I've been looking at King Arthur and have seen a couple that I'd like to try, a semolina rye bread and a tomato cheese. I also know there's a hearth fruit bread that you can make in it that I'd also like to try.

Also, using it in general - I noticed that Emile Henry says to grease AND flour the pan and KABC says to just grease it - their temperatures are different as well, EH seems to bake at higher temps than KABC. I was wondering if these make any difference.

I'm heading to Atlanta to the big retail market next week, so it will wait until I get back. Maybe, my contractor will be able to put in the firewall so my oven can come, fridge too - they are at the warehouse ready to be delivered.

BakerAunt
                Participant

CWCdesign--I grease the Emile Henry long baker with Crisco, then I coat it with farina (Cream of Wheat). That will prevent sticking, and the farina will not burn the way that semolina will.

I have a couple recipes that I can post for you while you are at your meeting next week. We just returned from a trip, so I'll need a couple of days to get back in the swing of things.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I started a batch of semolina bread at 5PM, it'll go into the oven fairly late, when it is cooler outside. It may have hit 100 here today, I saw a 99 at one point.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

BA - I hope you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for offering to post recipes.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Mike, that pie looks delicious.

I made a batch of my sandwich buns today as I was down to my last bun. In this hot weather I haven't been doing too much of a preheat for the oven and the buns have been baking up great anyway.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Oh, it tastes great, it is just really soupy. I told Diane I needed to make another cherry pie soon to prove I can still do it.

chocomouse
                          Participant

This morning I made cranberry-orange scones. First, I had to make the candied orange peel for them. I've been saving all the orange peels from the oranges we feed the Baltimore Orioles, so I have the peels from a dozen oranges. They were so expensive this year, I wanted to make the most of my investment.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Big Lake Judy's Best Ever Molasses Cookies, a recipe that I have been meaning to try ever since Mike Nolan first praised it. I used a #40 scoop and ended up with 25 cookies, 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I baked each tray for 15 minutes, turning halfway. The second tray may be slightly overbaked. I worked out the grams weight by using the function on my scale that allows me to switch back and forth between ounces and grams. I find it easier to work in metric. We had some of the cookies for dessert tonight, and we agree these are excellent. I would probably bake no longer than fourteen minutes next time, and possibly a little less.

If anyone is looking for the recipe, it is under "BLJ.s Best Ever Molasses Cookies."

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

It's been a while since I've made these, I usually make them a bit smaller. They keep well, as I recall.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I think that the egg I used in the cookies was on the smaller side. The cookies call for an extra-large egg. I used a large, but I have noted that some of the "large" eggs I have been getting recently are closer to what I would say is a medium size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.