What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It sort of depends on your grill, if there are hot spots and cold spots, as there are in most ovens, rotating helps even things out, but at the cost of losing a bunch of thermal energy every time you open it up.

BakerAunt
      Participant

It's blueberry season. We picked blueberries last week. Blueberry pie is my husband's favorite.

On Wednesday, I baked Blueberry Crumb Pie, using my oil crust and the recipe from Carole Walter’s Great Pies and Tarts. As usual, I reduced the sugar slightly in the filling (from ¾ to 2/3 cup) as the blueberries we pick are sweet. I also only use half the streusel, and I cut the butter down to 2 Tbs. I got a late start on the pie, so it did not come out of the oven until 5:30 p.m., too late to have for dessert tonight. I look forward to having some with lunch tomorrow.

I have about 1/2 cup of cooking liquid left from the gentle pre-cooking of the blueberries, so there will be cornmeal pancakes this weekend.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We sliced into the pie at lunch. My husband says it's the best ever, and I agree that it is delicious. Letting it sit was the right call, as that let the filling hold together when sliced. I feel confident now that I can type up this recipe and have a hard copy and an electronic copy.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I'm a little at a loss Len. Last few times I made pizza outside I used my beehive oven which is radically different from a charcoal grill. I blogged about it at the time. Rereading it I may have to go back to it.

My experiment with my whole wheat seems to be working. It is usually moldy in a couple days but it has been around since Saturday or Sunday and no mold. We've been eating it. The desiccant may be working.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I baked a blueberry cobbler. It's OK, but needs some changes. I used the Boyajian lemon oil and it leaves a terrible after-taste, kind of metallic, artificial which also overpowers the blueberry flavor and really ruins the cobbler. It does have the cake-like quality of the cobber that we prefer, compared to a crsip-type topping.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I have a sourdough loaf in the oven. I did a long (probably too long) proof in the basement which is cooler than upstairs it's between 70-75. I let the bread sit out for 24 hours. It was very loose so I did some folds and stretches and put it in the loaf pan and let it rise for another hour and a half. I'll see how it turns out. Sam and Henry will eat it. 🙂

I made dough for crackers while waiting for the second rise. I'll bake those either today or tomorrow.

Violet has requested something sweet.

skeptic7
                Participant

I did a Spinach Pizza yesterday. I'm eating it with Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce which I had made last week and had some left over after eating it with pasta and foccacio bread. This is the can of tomatoes, 5 tablespoons of butter, and an onion recipe. Its very rich and flavorfull but has almost too much butter. It works very nicely with a fairly healthy low fat pizza.

chocomouse
                  Participant

This is the bread I baked today. It's a variation on my usual whole-grain sandwich bread, as I added 1/2 cup of Super 10 Blend (KAF).

Super-10-Bread‑7.2020

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    cwcdesign
                    Participant

Will made a version of the Gruyere Bread that BakerAunt posted a while back. I wrote about it in the Cooking thread.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Did Violet ever get her 'something sweet'?

BakerAunt
                        Participant

In my quest to find a healthier blueberry cobbler than my late mother-in-law’s recipe, I went back to The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion and the “Basic Fruit Cobbler” (p. 137). I did tinker a bit, as I used half whole wheat pastry flour and halved the salt. I reduced the sugar in the cake part from 1 cup to ¾ cup, used buttermilk and added 1/8 tsp. baking soda. I replaced the 2 Tbs. butter with 1 ½ Tbs. canola oil. For the topping, I used the non-liquor substitution, but I reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup, halved the vanilla (from 1 tsp. to ½ tsp.) and omitted the almond extract. I used 3 cups of blueberries, which was plenty. I baked it on the third rack in a 9-inch square ceramic dish, as blueberries eat into USA metal pans. We had some warm with vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt. It is delicious, so I have found a good basic cobbler. My mother-in-law’s recipe used rather a lot of butter, or perhaps originally margarine, but no eggs. The recipe dates from when people had been told that eggs were not good for you, advice that has now changed.

I cut the sugar because the blueberries we pick at a local place are much sweeter than any I have had elsewhere.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Your bread looks scrumptious, Chocomouse.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Chocomouse I agree with BakerAunt,your bread looks very good.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Thank you so much for the cobbler post, BakerAunt!! I've been searching for the perfect cobbler recipe; I'd love to have a basic recipe to use for all my cobblers (we already made rhubarb, now picking blueberries, and next raspberries and then black berries are ripening). I will look up that recipe tomorrow. The cobbler I made a few days ago is almost gone,and my husband will be delighted to have waiting for him to cut into. I'm pretty sure I'll use 6 cups of berries, maybe even 8, double the cobbles, and bake it in a 9 x 12. I've found using canola oil in place of butter works fine, and I almost always reduce the amount of sugar. I'll have to decide if I follow their recipe exactly, or make your substitutions. Thank you!

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Len - your bread looks great!

Yes Violet did get something sweet. I found some chocolate chip pancakes and added a healthy dose of syrup. She was happy.

Then Sunday I made doughnuts but I'll save that for the week of July 26.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.