What are you Baking the Week of January 29, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 29, 2023?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Made challah today. Kate took it out of the oven for me but I didn't tell her I had loaves in both ovens two came out a little well done. Still, the inside looks good.

Happier with the braids and I made five loaves this week. The thing I am realizing is that a dozen loaves with be expensive. Honey and apple cider are really expensive and you all already know about eggs. I'm using local honey from a small producer and his price went up a lot but I know his expenses must have as well. I may call him and see if I can buy direct.

Challah-well-done-small-02032023

Challah-small-02032023

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      chocomouse
      Participant

Those look wonderful, Aaron! "practice makes perfect" is working great for you!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made another batch of peanut butter cookies.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Aaron, is that a 3 or a 4 strand braid?

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

4 Strand. I may try a different way next time.

I noticed a lot of people on line making little balls of dough and then flattening them. Roll up the flattened balls and then turn those into strands. I think it makes them more a consistent size and shape and help the dough texture.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I tend to use the same technique for strands for braiding that I do for loaves of bread. It's a bit time consuming, especially if doing several 11 strand braided loaves.

Scale the dough and roll it into balls. Let those rest for at least 5 minutes to relax the gluten. Flatten them, fold the top down 2/3 of the way then the bottom up to the top. Fold the bottom to the top again and seal with your hand. Do that again. You should now have a log that is fairly uniform in diameter and can be easily lengthened.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made those Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies today, but added chocolate chips. They are really good, and I'll be making them again. I doubled the recipe and put half into the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

My wife just suggested putting a chocolate kiss on those peanut butter cookies right after they come out of the oven. Might have to try that next time.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I baked the sourdough bread today ,will cut it tomorrow.

I think I'll add chocolate chips to the peanut butter cookies next time.Glad to hear y'all are liking these cookies.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.