What are you baking the week of February 3, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of February 3, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking for me today (unless you count making a batch of custard).

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Today I made another loaf of sourdough bread recipe one I've baked a lot from all.recipes.com called Sourdough 1 by Becky Richardson it turned out much lighter and better taste than one I did this past week.This recipe you mix up the night before and let rise overnight then knead next day and pan up for another rise.My starter did well with this recipe,the bread baked a pretty brown crust and crumb was very good.Recipe calls for making 2 loaves and I always cut it in half to make one loaf.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made the Buckwheat and Mushroom Stromboli from the KAF site. The filling was delicious, but I didn't care for the dough. It was so soft and tender, and very difficult to work with. It has bread flour, buckwheat, and spelt flour, which should make it tender, but I tore big holes in it as I shaped it, although I knew it needed special handling. I also didn't like the feel of the soft dough in my mouth, and am not too crazy about the flavor. I will use the filling recipe again, but make a different dough. I'm thinking to use my pizza dough, with some semolina to give it some "chew", or maybe an unsweetened dough for a braided savory loaf. The filling would also make a great pizza topping!

navlys
          Participant

Not scratch baking but...i had a pkg, of brownie mix and used light olive oil for oil( didn't have anything else) and spread the warm brownies with a squeeze pkg. of Duncan Hines frosting and topped with crushed chocolate peppermint pretzel crisps. Surprise,surprise they were good. The frosting was a freebee from my supermarket. It took all my strength to squeeze the frosting. I don't think it's going to be a winner.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I think if you had put the tube of frosting in warm water for a few minutes, it would have been easier to squeeze out.

chocomouse
              Participant

Today I made a lemon-zucchini coffeecake, using some of the shredded garden zucchini in my freezer. This has lemon juice powder from KAF in the cake and also in the streusel. If you love a strong lemon flavor, I highly recommend this powder, expensive as it is. It out=performs any of the lemon oils I've ever used, or lemon juice and zest.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Although I enjoyed our vacation, I am glad to be back in the kitchen baking. Today I baked my Barley Whole Wheat Buttermilk Bread.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Glad you had a good vacation BakerAunt!Welcome back!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thank you, Joan.

I tried a new recipe today for Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies, which I changed around and tried to convert into a bar cookie. I'll post about it in the dessert thread.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made 3 loaves of Vienna bread today.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Thursday morning, I baked Seeded Crispbread, a Scandinavian recipe I baked last year and to which I posted a link at that time. This time I used the finely ground cornmeal, and the recipe came out better than with the medium grind. As I did last year, I replaced the flax seed with 2 1/2 Tbs. flax meal, since the human digestive system cannot break down flax seed. These make a nice, low in saturated fat, cracker, and they are very easy.

skeptic7
                          Participant

I baked a whole wheat pizza, my normal medium crust recipe. but since I had been looking at Serious Eats Philadelphia Tomato pie, I used only tomato sauce on the crust and no cheese. It was ok but I think I prefer cheese without tomato sauce to tomato Sauce without cheese. This was on Tuesday night. I ate half that night and 1/4 for breakfast with ham.

Philadelphia Tomato Pie

I cheated and used jarred pizza sauce with a little extra garlic and cooked it down until thick.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Friday, I baked the Easy Italian Honey Whole Wheat Breakfast Cookies again, as I enjoy having one at breakfast with my coffee after eating my steel-cut oats. This time, I still left the vanilla at ½ tsp., and I still added 3 drops of Fiori di Sicilia, but I also rehydrated 2 tsp. of Penzey’s dried orange peel with 2 Tbs. of water. I’m still working on the flavoring, as I am rationing my vanilla, and I rarely have an orange around the house that I can grate for zest. I'll add a note tomorrow on the taste.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Today I baked some sugar cookies that was on sugar bag from Publix.I made the dough last night and rolled them in logs,sliced and sprinkled with red sugar today.They puffed up but didn't spread out at all and tastes just OK.Nothing special.My sister came for a visit today so they were baked and ready for coffee when she arrived.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Today I baked English muffins, using the recipe we used in my class at KAF 2 weeks ago. I made a couple of small changes: I used white whole wheat instead of AP for one cup of flour, and buttermilk instead of regular milk; I also made 8 muffins instead of 9 because that is what will fit on my built-in griddle. They came out great!! They rose twice as high as the ones we made at KAF! Much lighter, same good flavor. I had a little trouble finding the right temp on the griddle, as it is labeled 1-10, not in degrees F. The thermometer said 200* but I think the insides should have been cooked a little more, they were a tiny bit gummy. I've noted the cooking temps, and will make some adjustments next. My only disappointment is that they are not very holey - and that is the same problem I've always had with my English muffins. Oh well, they still taste better than store-bought.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.