What are you Baking the Week of December 5, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of December 5, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm planning to make another sweet potato pie today, and I need to make semolina bread, too.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked the pumpkin sweet rolls that I shaped and let rise overnight in the refrigerator on Sunday morning for breakfast. They are my most delicious version of this recipe.

My husband and the dog finished up the bread for lunch on Sunday, so I baked two loaves of my riff on Len’s Semolina Rye Rolls recipe.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked my Wholegrain Fresh Apple sheet cake today, using some of the Winesaps we bought last month. I used a 13x9” Pyrex baking dish since apples can take the finish off of the USA pans when the cake is left in the pan. Instead of buttermilk, I used some kefir that has been sitting in the refrigerator (bought back when I could not find buttermilk). I have also revised my technique by whisking in the sugar with the wet ingredients.

I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Monday. I will bake the crackers either at the end of this week or start of next week.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm looking at recipes for sweet potato and apple pie. I've got enough sweet potatoes for another 5-6 pies. I think a layer of apple pie filling at the bottom would produce an interesting combination.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made 2 loaves of oatmeal buttermilk sandwich bread.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Bread, except I made it into nature's perfect form of bread, buns. It's a recipe that I got from a West Bend bread machine recipe book that came with the machine. I've made this many times but haven't made it in several years. I did a slight modification to it, I used 1 cup of whole wheat and one cup of Durum flour. It looks great but I haven't tasted it yet. I made 10 buns.

IMG_1278

IMG_1279

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

Those buns look great, Len.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Buns look nice Len.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Thank you, BA and Joan. They taste pretty good too.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made another batch of oatmeal chocolate chip coconut cookies,baking them now.So good with a cup of coffee.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Nice buns, Len - they look delicious.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For lunch on Friday, and for the next three days, I baked the Spaghetti Squash and Parmesan Cheese Quiche from Ken Haedrich’s Harvest Baker (188-189). I make some changes to reduce the saturated fat. First, I used my buttermilk oil crust. As it is a savory pie, I delete the sugar from my recipe, use olive oil rather than canola, and replaced the whole wheat pastry flour with barley flour, as well as using white pastry flour for the rest. I got the crust too thin on the Emile Henry 14x4 ¾-inch ceramic long tart pan, so it stuck on the bottom during the par-baking, and I ended up sticking the wet dough back and putting the dish back in the oven for another 5 minutes. I also sprinkled panko across the bottom to try to absorb any excess moisture from the filling. For the quiche itself, I used a gold spaghetti squash I bought in October at the farmer’s market that had developed a spot and needed to be used. I replace the 1 cup half and half and 1/3 cup heavy cream with 1 1/3 cup low-fat evaporated milk. For the topping cheese, I used some pre-grated low-fat mozzarella. As always, it comes out delicious, which makes it worth the four hours from start (making the crust and baking the spaghetti squash) to finish (pulling it out of the oven).

Haedrich’s recipe calls for a 9 1/2x1-inch tart pan, but I do not have that size. The rectangular Emile Henry tart dish is 2 inches deep, and I think the higher sides prevent disaster, although I still bake the tart on a rimmed baking sheet. I have my eye on a deep, round Emile Henry ceramic tart pan at Williams-Sonoma, but the company has gotten chintzy on free shipping offers, so I am undecided about buying it. The company wants people to buy a $90 yearly membership to receive free shipping, but I only buy from them perhaps once a year.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made a rum cake, an annual tradition for one of my husband's organizations. The first cake didn't come out right, so I made a 2nd cake yesterday. This one looked beautiful, and then on his way out the door, my husband dropped it, in the old Tupperware cake carrier, on the floor in the mudroom. Naturally, the cover came off, and the floor was dirty (this is where the boots come off and jacket are hung up, etc). We sliced off the top half inch, since of course it landed upside down, and that removed all the dirt coating. He put it back in the cake carrier, and off he went. It was delicious, everyone loved it, and now we have the entire first cake plus 3 small pieces of the second one!

Italiancook
                              Participant

So glad, chocomouse, you were able to save the day and salvage the cake!

Len, your buns look great!

I made a batch of the Allrecipes.com "Best, Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies." It calls for a 1/4 cup scoop. I portioned out the cookies onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet and froze them for 90 minutes. Then I placed the dough balls in freezer bags and froze. Either next week, or mid-January, I'll bake them and give them to a service company with Double Chocolate Brownies, a favorite of the technician who takes care of my house. I baked 3 to taste-test. Because I'm giving the cookies away, I used real brown sugar instead of Splenda brown sugar blend. I think they're better with the Splenda blend. But no one will complain when they eat them -- yummy.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

A while ago, I bought some ginger syrup from King Arthur but was unsure how I would use it. (Hey, I like ginger.) KABC had a recipe for Soft Ginger-Molasses Cookies, but of course it used butter. On Saturday, I used that recipe as a starting point to develop my own oil-based cookie. I made a half recipe just in case it did not work out. I used white whole wheat flour and added 2 Tbs. milk powder (BRM). I used ¼ cup avocado oil plus 2 Tbs. water in place of a stick of butter. As oil cookies tend not to flatten out, I used a drinking glass to flatten the dough slightly after scooping them out with a # 30 scoop and rolling each ball in coarse white sugar. My cookies baked well, and the texture is soft although not quite as light as a butter cookie would be. They are about the same size as the original recipe’s cookies, and I ended up with 15 (half of original recipe claims that would be 21). The spice flavor is mild, which my husband likes, and I like that they go well with a cup of tea. It’s possible that the spice may become more pronounced after a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.